Cannot do Windows Update

April 9, 2004 9:02:33 PM

When I try to get Windows Updates all options are grayed
out except the first screen, "Welcome", and the last
link "Get Help & Support." Someone said that it might be
something to do with a firewall We do have a firewall on a
wireless router, but it is the same even if I plug
straight into the DSL modem with no firewall. I do not
have ActiveX controls and plug-ins running, do I need them?

David

More about : windows update

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 10:11:13 PM

try scanning for a virus or spywares
safer-networking.org update and scan on easy or free
antivirus from grisoft.com

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 1:18:10 AM

"David A" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to get Windows Updates all options are grayed
> out except the first screen, "Welcome", and the last
> link "Get Help & Support." Someone said that it might be
> something to do with a firewall We do have a firewall on a
> wireless router, but it is the same even if I plug
> straight into the DSL modem with no firewall. I do not
> have ActiveX controls and plug-ins running, do I need them?
>
> David

Windows Update Fails:
Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
Troubleshooting Windows Update Connection and Download Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193657
Windows Update Checklist
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
This newsgroup is read by MS staff: