sharing violation

Ed

I have a stand alone computer connected to internet via cable. I just installed XP pro. I saved a tax return on a floppy disk and tried to open it on a friend's computer (not in the network) but I could not open the file since it was a sharing violation. How do adjust the settings so that files saved on my "A" drive can be accessed on any computer? I hope someone can help me with this one, and QUICKLY!! Thanks.

ed wrote:

> I have a stand alone computer connected to internet via cable. I just installed XP pro. I saved a tax return on a floppy disk and tried to open it on a friend's computer (not in the network) but I could not open the file since it was a sharing violation. How do adjust the settings so that files saved on my "A" drive can be accessed on any computer? I hope someone can help me with this one, and QUICKLY!! Thanks.

What tax program? Contacted the vendor? "Sharing violation" has
broad meanings, ranging from protection of the data file itself
to connectivity issues. For instance, how is the tax return being
prepared --- via internet connection with a program in a remote
computer? On tax preparation software installed in the home system?
Any password protection involved? More information might be helpful
in getting an answer.