BIG wireless problem :(

It wont be out of range because its only ever about 60 feet away. I've
thought about buying a new linksys wireless card for the laptop to
replace the intel one. But if interference is the problem then it wont
make much difference. Is there any way to check if there is
interference?

--
goose
More about wireless problem

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:57:11 GMT, goose
    <goose.19nbtm@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >It wont be out of range because its only ever about 60 feet away. I've
    >thought about buying a new linksys wireless card for the laptop to
    >replace the intel one. But if interference is the problem then it wont
    >make much difference. Is there any way to check if there is
    >interference?

    Spectrum analyzer? The sloppy way is to use Netstumbler to extract
    the S/N ratio. If you have a good strong signal level, but a poor S/N
    ratio, it's highly likely you're picking up interference from
    somewhere. You can also look at the access point error rate (if
    available). About 1-2% is normal. Anything over 10% is most
    certainly intereference. Finding sources of intereference is rough.
    One source posted in this newsgroup turned out to be a wireless
    doorbell. I have a switching power supply type wall wart that will
    dramatically increase the wireless error rate if running. I have 4 of
    these wall warts and only one does this, so it's probably defective in
    some way.

    In general, sources of intereference tend to be trascient in that they
    come and go. I you have ocassional lapses in connectivity, it's
    probably the neighbors leaky microwave oven, a cordless phone, or
    industrial microwave heater. Other sources are continuous like TV
    video remotes, wireless cameras, and point to point wireless links.
    You can play spectrum analyzer rather cheaply in software:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5709793585
    Add a directional antenna (dish) and happy interference hunting.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    "goose" <goose.19nbtm@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

    > It wont be out of range because its only ever about 60 feet away. I've
    > thought about buying a new linksys wireless card for the laptop to
    > replace the intel one. But if interference is the problem then it wont
    > make much difference. Is there any way to check if there is
    > interference?
    >

    > --
    > goose
    > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

    Yes. Get the latest copy of Network Stumbler and check the signal to noise
    difference.

    --
    Bob Alston

    ---