Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
Can you techies help me in selecting a motherboard for A NEW

INTEL PENTIUM IV SYSTEM WITH DDR SUPPPORT

my choices are

i845 chipset board (ASUS OR GIGABYTE)

OR Shall i go for the new

SIS 645 CHIPSET (ASUS OR GIGABYTE)

Which chipset is better, i'm not in favour of SIS chipset, because they are more budget chipset and they give less importance to
performance...what you guys think...

PLEASE HELP ME...

reez

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
I'll defenitelsy go for DDR memory...i don't need expensive futureless RDRAM...anyawy..Thanks Guys....Now tell me which make is better...which one should i go for...i need stability no overclocking is needed

ASUS or GIGABYTE
...waiting for your suggestions

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, if you're not overclocking and plan on upgrading your board anyway, the Asus board is nice (with the SiS chipset). But the <i>near</i> future is with RDRAM, because the nest P4's will run 533FSB, and DDR400 (fastest available DDR SDRAM) can't touch PC1066 (the standard RDRAM for the 533FSB).

I look at it this way, I can always combine my RDRAM with the motherboard and a cheap CPU FOR REASALE if I wish to upgrade later. Dual Channel DDR for the P4 is on it's way within a few months, which should make all current boards look sad.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
ddr333 was the fastest ddr memory up until about a month ago (give or take)...its only a matter of time until ddr memory reaches 533mhz...its only a matter of time for ddr memory to catch up (if it ever does)...and beside...dual channel ddr (as you said) is not that far off...
we'll just have to see what happens in the future...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR533 is a long way off, PC800 at PC1066 speed is here now! Dual Channel DDR is far closer than DDR533. Besides, DDR533 is not the answer, what if you want to overclock a NW "B"? Then you'll need DDR600 or something! So dual channel DDR, which is in the near future, is the answer. But until then, RDRAM is the answer.

A lot of guys would say "But you can recycle the DDR on the new board." Yes, true, if you want to put up with inferior performance until then. Instead, I suggest a better idea is to go with what's best RIGHT NOW if you're building right now, and when you want to upgrade later sell the RAM with the board. The next best alternative is to buy nothing now and wait for dual channel DDR chipsets. Recycling the DDR from current inferior boards is a distant third place alternative not worth considering IMO.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, I hardly call that inferior performance. Crashman, you're not considering the fact that there is a chance that even Samsung RDRAM may not handle PC1066.

The SiS 645DX overclocks as well, if not better than the current 850 chipset, and it outperforms PC800 with DDR333.

Crashman, besides, where's your proof that PC1066 is that much faster than DDR400? Something other than Q3Arena, please.

DDR400 5ns is available here and now. RAM that is guaranteed to run at that speed is available from Corsair, Kingmax and OCZ! Can you say the same about PC1066?

Seriously, if you can notice the marginal difference in performance between the two, then you have super human senses.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I highly recommend the Asus P4S533. It's fast and supports the fastest available DDR RAM now, DDR400. You also get official support for the Northwood B processors that are hinted to come out tomorrow. Contrary to what Crashman says, it's seems unlikely that PC1066 will be faster than DDR400 in real world performance. Under DDR333 the Asus P4S533 outperforms PC800 850-based motherboards. With DDR400 and a 533MHz, your performance should be very close to PC1066 on the 533MHz FSB. Also, the Asus P4S533 is the only motherboard that is widely available NOW that officially support the upcoming Northwood B processors.

Looking at the benchmarks for memory DDR400 can't touch RDRAM. Well yes if you run RDRAM 800 speed but PC1066 is here. DDR 400 is here in limited Quantities, But at a cas latency of 3. The hand picked modules Frank tested would only do cas 2.5. So it may be some time before we see modules in the stores at cas 2.5 much less cas 2.0. So what have you guys been smokin??????

I aint signing nothing!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What benchmarks? Show me the benchmarks! PC1066 isn't here yet. You have to overclock. Rumours are it might come out tomorrow, but I doubt it. Show me these CAS3 DDR400 modules! Tom's Hardware also said that CL2 PC2700 isn't available yet but it is. Tom's Hardware has been full of misinformation lately. Where are the benchmarks? DDR333 matches or outperforms PC800. Therefore, an educated guess would be that PC1066 is <5% faster than DDR400.

If you tell me that PC1066 kills DDR400 in Q3, I'll kill you. :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just stating that for us overclockers or anybody who might want to try later, the best choice on the market right now is RDRAM. Later on the best choice will likely be Dual Channel DDR. But if you plan on building now and reselling the board later on, you might as well sell the board and RAM together.

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
I realize that i'm new to the forum.......but I'm in the canadian oem business and my supply of RDRAM is zero, zilch, nada....all support for this memory is discontinued, (at least around here) AT ANY SPEED!!!!! DDR is available, even DDR400 cas 2.5 with more on the horizon. It seems that anyone who is buying RDRAM, is only taking stuff that vendors are trying to get rid of. My advice....DDR or wait at least a couple months to see if the situation changes.

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wait a few weeks for the new Intel 845G chipset based boards to come out, they have updated memory controllers and very good performance with DDR333 memory. Not to mention they will overclock far better than the 845E. Basically performance from Intel chipsets is looking like this from least to greatest:
845<845D=845E<850<845G<850E
I put 845D is the same as 845E because they are identical, the 'E' flavour just has official support for the new 533 based P4bs. 845G gets better performance non overclocked, and will supposedly overclock better than 845E and still give you DDR support. 850E with the new 32 bit RDRAM modules should make for some good performance, but you may/may not need the very best.
If I were buying a Pentium 4 today I would buy the Epox 4BDA2+ because it has superior overclocking abilities, and if I were not overclocking I'd probably buy the 845G (when its available) or the Asus board that has the SiS645DX chipset.
BTW DDR-I is supposed to only scale up to 400 MHz speeds, DDR-II is supposed to come into play at 400+ MHz, so I don't see 533 Mhz DDR being available for roughly a year or longer, and it'll be DDR-II. Kingmax I think (or kingston who ever has the Tiny BGA ram) will suposedly have DDR433 or 466 CAS2.5 ram soon that will do CAS2 @DDR400 speed, but when this will be available, and if it'll truly perform is another matter.

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Abit TH7II = $138
2x 256MB Samsung PC800 = $170
Total = $308

Abit BD7 = $107
2x 256MB Corsair PC2700 = $196
Total = $303

EPOX EP-4SDA+ = $88
2x 256MB Corsair PC2700 = $196
Total = $284

Take your pick, not a big difference in price.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
um, how about the Asus P4S533? Anyway, the Epox board will overclock the highest (best range of VCore and memory voltage selection) and will provide much better performance than the BD7.

The i845 doesn't support running the RAM at 333MHz or 400MHz.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Epox 845D board, you mean? I included the Abit because I know it's a good board, I'm not as sure about the Epox.

And I gave all three chipsets because he was asking about two and I recommend the other.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>