Outlook Ex messages disappered after installation of Win XP

I just tried to upgrade from 98se to XP. However, I was not able to use the upgrade option and had to install XP. Now my old messages and my address book from Outlook Express 6 are gone. I checked the MS online help, but that only seems to cover an O/S upgrade, not an installation. I searched for the dbx files but all that I found were the new ones. Thanks for any suggestions.
3 answers Last reply
More about outlook messages disappered installation

    "jasonovovich" <d-jason@law.northwestern.edu> wrote in message
    > I just tried to upgrade from 98se to XP. However, I was not able to
    > use the upgrade option and had to install XP. Now my old messages
    > and my address book from Outlook Express 6 are gone. I checked the
    > MS online help, but that only seems to cover an O/S upgrade, not an
    > installation. I searched for the dbx files but all that I found were
    > the new ones. Thanks for any suggestions.

    If you were using OE 5 or higher before, search your hard drive for
    Inbox.dbx
    (If you are using Win2K or WinXP you will have to set the search to include
    hidden files and folders.)

    If you find two copies, use OE's File | Import | Messages | Microsoft
    Outlook Express 6 and choose to import from an OE6 store directory. Browse
    to the folder holding the older Inbox.dbx.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    That didn't help. Any other thoughts? Also, in addition to my old e-mails and address book disappearing, all files i had stored on my desktop are gone, too.
    thanks

    "jasonovovich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That didn't help. Any other thoughts? Also, in addition to my old
    > e-mails and address book disappearing, all files i had stored on my
    > desktop are gone, too. thanks

    It sounds like the old DBX files are gone. In Win98SE they were usually
    stored somewhere under the Windows folder, and since you couldn't upgrade
    and didn't backup first they were probably wiped, along with the old Desktop
    folder.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    > ----- Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote: -----
    >
    > "jasonovovich" <d-jason@law.northwestern.edu> wrote in message
    > > I just tried to upgrade from 98se to XP. However, I was not
    > able to > use the upgrade option and had to install XP. Now my
    > old messages > and my address book from Outlook Express 6 are
    > gone. I checked the > MS online help, but that only seems to
    > cover an O/S upgrade, not an > installation. I searched for the
    > dbx files but all that I found were > the new ones. Thanks for
    > any suggestions.
    >
    > If you were using OE 5 or higher before, search your hard drive
    > for Inbox.dbx
    > (If you are using Win2K or WinXP you will have to set the search
    > to include hidden files and folders.)
    >
    > If you find two copies, use OE's File | Import | Messages |
    > Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and choose to import from an OE6
    > store directory. Browse to the folder holding the older
    > Inbox.dbx.

Outlook Microsoft Outlook Express Windows XP