Start Bar programs not in Program folder

April 11, 2004 1:56:03 AM

I have programs listed in my start bar that are not listed in the Program folder that comes up when you right click on the start bar and go to all users. (There are no other users on my computer.) I have XP home.

I wanted to put the programs into folders, but can't because of this. I have no idea how they got on the start bar to begin with. I am positive that I did not put them there. It is a true MS mystery.

Is there any way to fix this, and any way to put them in folders.

Thanks so much for any help.

Kathleen
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 4:23:37 AM

Kathleen wrote:
> I have programs listed in my start bar that are not listed in the
> Program folder that comes up when you right click on the start bar
> and go to all users. (There are no other users on my computer.) I
> have XP home.
>
> I wanted to put the programs into folders, but can't because of this.
> I have no idea how they got on the start bar to begin with. I am
> positive that I did not put them there. It is a true MS mystery.
>
> Is there any way to fix this, and any way to put them in folders.
>
> Thanks so much for any help.
>
> Kathleen

Hello,
Are you looking at the leftmost section of the "Start bar" expansion? There are some programs (like your browser) which are permanently pinned to that. Others are "user" selected to be placed there. The bottom section (below) the separator bar are the most frequently run programs.

Which programs are involved?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Thank you for replying Maurice. I understand the differences about what you wrote. I have just discovered part of the problem, so now have a new question.

I am the only user on my computer, but I have found 2 different start program folders. One is under all users, and one is under me as a user. When I right click the task bar and go to programs, it takes me to programs as me the user.

When I right click the start bar and go to programs, it takes me to programs for all users.

Apparently, program installs go into one or the other file by the program's choice, as I always just install the defaults.

So now, I have several different file folders and programs in each of the users (all and me), but all programs are showing on the start bar. So my new question...is there anyway to comine these into one complete, accurate set under all users?

Thank you so much for helping me. Happy Easter to you!

Kathleen
April 11, 2004 6:37:48 AM

Kathleen wrote:
> Thank you for replying Maurice. I understand the differences about
> what you wrote. I have just discovered part of the problem, so now
> have a new question.
>
> I am the only user on my computer, but I have found 2 different start
> program folders. One is under all users, and one is under me as a
> user. When I right click the task bar and go to programs, it takes
> me to programs as me the user.
>
> When I right click the start bar and go to programs, it takes me to
> programs for all users.
>
> Apparently, program installs go into one or the other file by the
> program's choice, as I always just install the defaults.
>
> So now, I have several different file folders and programs in each of
> the users (all and me), but all programs are showing on the start
> bar. So my new question...is there anyway to combine these into one
> complete, accurate set under all users?
>
> Thank you so much for helping me. Happy Easter to you!
>
> Kathleen

If you set the computer where you can see ALL files, including system and
hidden, then you would see there are many more users than the two you now
see.

However, in your case, the only ones you need to be concerned with are All
Users and your own.

No - you cannot get rid of All Users.
You can manually move most of the items from your account to All Users in
the same place, or vice-versa. That is your best option.

Essentially - you are one of many in the situation of using a Multi-User
Operating System in a Single User situation. You just have to deal with the
fact the OS you have (and likely all those you will get from now on) are
made to be used by more than one person and will have such situations as
this arise. =)

--
<- Shenan ->
April 11, 2004 1:08:34 PM

Kathleen wrote:
> Thank you for replying Maurice. I understand the differences about
> what you wrote. I have just discovered part of the problem, so now
> have a new question.
>
> I am the only user on my computer, but I have found 2 different start
> program folders. One is under all users, and one is under me as a
> user. When I right click the task bar and go to programs, it takes
> me to programs as me the user.
>
> When I right click the start bar and go to programs, it takes me to
> programs for all users.
>
> Apparently, program installs go into one or the other file by the
> program's choice, as I always just install the defaults.
>
> So now, I have several different file folders and programs in each of
> the users (all and me), but all programs are showing on the start
> bar. So my new question...is there anyway to comine these into one
> complete, accurate set under all users?
>
> Thank you so much for helping me. Happy Easter to you!
>
> Kathleen

Hello Kathleen,
Happy Easter to you.

I always choose "custom install" on any setup/installs. It is really not that complicated.
The heart of your issue is whether these programs are XP-aware. Do they offer an option to setup for "All users" or "current" user?

Yes you will see several "Start" folders: 1 for All , 1 for each user, plus 1 for Default.

You "may" try experimenting & moving all entries to "all users" ---- if that is your intent.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User