Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded from Intel to AMD

Last response: in Motherboards
May 5, 2002 11:45:33 AM

Ok guys and gals,

Not new to this forum but because my old ISP started costing too much, I had to switch.

Just switched a couple of months ago from Intel to AMD after exhaustive research in all possible sites of the Net and of course THG. My problem is this, surfing the web is no problem, online gaming is (i.e,counter-strike and C&C and Wolfenstein) When I go online, either I get a busy(blue screen) or the system hangs(mouse locks)This is by the way not all the time but it drives me nuts to all ends 'cause I gotta hard boot.
My old 500 Celeron with the DFI CW35 L Mobo i810 chipset never had this problem except that it was getting too old.
Anyways, I upgraded from the celeron direct to AMD. Everything is the same with the exception of the CPU (Athlon900B) and the motherboard MSI MS-6340 and I replaced the OEM fan/heatsink with a Thermaltake Mini SuperTwinOrb. Installed an 80mm Intake fan and a fan I took off of a dead power supply as exhaust. The Northbridge from the MSI only had a heatsink and upgraded it with a fan I took off of a graphic card. Fitted perfectly. Got 7 fans and I'm pretty sure I've taken overheating out as a variable.
Components that was transferred:
2X128PC133SDRAM
1XSeagate 20.4 5400 UDMA66
1XSeagate 17.0 5400 UDMA66
1X48XCD-ROM
1X10x8x32 HP CD-Writer Plus
1XFujitsu FDD
Another thing, the old DFI had onboard graphics so I had to buy a graphic card. GeForce2MX400 64MB.
Also the BIOS from the MSI is current. I have in my BIOS the CAS at 2 and the Clock at Host. Worked in the DFI.
the CPU is at 100 and the multiplier is at 9. I tried the other settings but it slowed the CPU down. I'm not trying to OC this system by the way.
Now, my question I'm sending this post by the way with the new system. Like I said it works perfect for surfing.
Why would the system hang up after say 5 min into gaming or not lock on to the server I picked out.
OK. Can I ask one more? Right now I'm running 2 128s SDRAM @ PC133. I also tried 1 256 PC133 SDRAM and because the MSI board only has two banks, I have to take out one of the 128 sticks. When I do this, the system won't boot or it'll say 'not enough memory'. The manual states I can run up to 1GB of unbuffered DIMM.

Hopefully someone will answer. THANKS

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!

More about : upgraded intel amd

May 5, 2002 12:20:42 PM

Hey V,

Did you Delete the old partition, create a new partition, reformat your old HDD & reinstall your O/S & new mobo drivers?

Peace Out................tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?
May 5, 2002 12:30:50 PM

Yes to all queries. Thanks for the input.

Related resources
May 5, 2002 12:34:20 PM

Hey V,

What are your system & cpu temps?

Peace Out..........tile

May 5, 2002 12:36:27 PM

Hey V,

Forgot to also ask, what kind of PS are you using & how many watts? How old?

Peace Out............tile

a c 435 V Motherboard
May 5, 2002 12:39:42 PM

I would also download the latest video drivers off nvidia's website. You can remove your old driver first, or install the new driver over the old one, and keep all the files from both drivers. You can try it both ways, and see which setup works best.
May 5, 2002 12:43:25 PM

Tilepusher,
SANDRA nominal
MBM critical
this w/ Thermaltake
SANDRA nominal
MBM critical
with OEM from celeron
PS is still from original. 230W but I put a CPU fan in front of the PS and it does have two serial heatsinks.

May 5, 2002 12:53:43 PM

o1die,

Done that also. If I'm not mistaken, the newest from nVidia is Version 28.32

May 5, 2002 1:34:25 PM

Hey V,

No do you have the Tempertures in degrees of C?
Did you use too much or no "Thermal Grease" with your HSF?

I don't care much for any of the TT HSF's, I do not believe they perform well at all. I would get a Vantec CCK 6027D(not that loud for non-OC'ing) or a T.I. Dr. Thermal V77L(semi-quiet, for mild OC'ing), both for around $18 from newegg.com.

About your PS..........I don't believe it is up to the task of providing enough clean power for your new system. AMD Athlon's need a lot of power, more so than the Celeron's. I believe if your PS is going full blast & staining to do so, that might explain some of your Heat related problems. It doesn't help much if you put 10 more fans on your PS, if it wasn't designed to handle that kind of load. You need a bigger PS. I would get a Enermax 350 watt PS(yeah it has dual fans too).

Nice Sig

Peace Out.................tile

May 5, 2002 1:58:17 PM

Tilepusher,

I can't remember the temps but I'll run another bench to see.

As far as what you said about the PS I believe you're right. I probably will have to invest in a new PS.

The contact between heatsink and the die I used a thin evenly spread amount of TTG-S101 Silver Grease from TITAN. The Thermaltake seems to be running fine but I'll check into the ones you recommended.
A bit on the tangent, if you know anyone running the Twin Orb and they're bitching about the whining (whistling) noise it makes because of the way it's constructed, tell them to wrap a couple of rubber bands not the thin ones but the ones that are about a 1/4 inch thick (flat) around the heatsink. I've got two on mine and ever since, no more whining.
Back to the subject at hand; I appreciate the timely reply and like I said I'll run the benchmark again.

As for the signature, I ride horses to deal with virtual stress. Thanks

May 5, 2002 2:44:11 PM

Hey V,

I would check your cpu temp, before I bought a new one. You should be lower than 52c. Also I would replace the PS, & recheck the tempertures. If you are not OC'ed, the TT HSF should be fine(as a added bonus, you already have it & it looks wicked). If after replacing the PS, your temps do not go down, you have a "serious call tech support problem", that replacing the HSF, most likely will not cure. You may have to RMA the mobo or cpu. Good Luck, it sounds like you did everything right on your end, in the installation.

Peace Out.............tile

May 5, 2002 2:47:00 PM

And what about gaming, without going on-line? Maybe there's an incompatibility between your drivers for your video card and your (PSTN/DSL-)modem. But the fact that you can surf the web makes the other suggestions more feasable ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>
May 5, 2002 3:29:42 PM

S'up Bikeman,

I haven't taken that into consideration but if my surfing the web is no problem and the only time I really have problems is when I'm gaming I really don't think it would be a compatibility issue. I'm more edging to what Tilepusher said about my PS and that AMD requires both power and cooling. Thanks for the advice and I will look into it.
Also the suggestion about trying the game offline, I can try that out also. Didn't think about it.

What kind of mountainbike?

May 5, 2002 3:37:07 PM

Yo T,

Thanks for the feedback but I believe what you said about the PS not being able to handle the load. Today is Sunday in Germany and there's no stores open. I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow to check on the prices. I'll also check online prices but most of the time they equal out with shipping and handling fees so I'll look first in our local stores.

May 5, 2002 5:17:00 PM

Did you install <b><A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new"><font color=red>VIA 4-in-1 drivers</A></b></font color=red>?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 5, 2002 5:21:41 PM

S'up khha,

No I didn't, I went direct to nvidia and downloaded the latest driver for my graphics. Version 28.32 for Win 9X.

I'm still running 98SE. Don't like the XP interface.

One other thing I forgot to ask, are the 4-in-One Drivers more complete?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vagabond on 05/05/02 01:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 5, 2002 5:51:36 PM

Quote:
One other thing I forgot to ask, are the 4-in-One Drivers more complete?

What do you mean 'complete'? but VIA drivers is <b>neccessary</b> for you to run your mobo stable and faster especially in Win 98 (if I'm correct, your mobo has VIA KM133 chipset. Is this your <b><A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/km133apr..." target="_new"><font color=blue>mobo's spec</A></b></font color=blue>?).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 5, 2002 7:12:12 PM

khha,

I got the board from a friend who couldn't get it to run with his 1.2 Athlon. I was confused also with the different versions of MS-6340 and I can assure you that it has the VT8363 (aka Apollo KT133) 'cause before I added the HSF to the mobo's Northbridge I had to take off the old heatsink.

On the chipset: VIA
VT8363 0107CD
1EE016221

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, the VIA 4-in-1 Drivers are installed.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vagabond on 05/05/02 03:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 6, 2002 12:38:50 PM

If that 6340M IS your motherboard, then I just have to ask- it shows that it has an onboard video adapter... have you disabled it?
May 6, 2002 4:26:39 PM

S'up squirrel,

No it's not the 6340M that I have, just 6340. In my BIOS I have:

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES
AGP Aperture Size: 64M
AGP 4X Mode: Enabled
AGP Driving Control: Auto

INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS
According to the manual, it's got
Onboard Legacy Audio: Enabled

Question; Can a board with an AGP slot also have Onboard graphics?

I know what you're thinking, I don't know which board I have.

May 6, 2002 4:52:54 PM

Hey,

I have a suspecion that the lockup has something to do with a IRQ conflict. If you don't have any serial devices disable the onboard serial that will give you a free IRQ. Also if your not using the parrellel port disable that also. That too will give you a free IRQ.

Windows 9x has a problem with IRQ shareing... each device must have it's own IRQ assigned. windows 2000 and windows xp solves this issue so you can have as many devices as you want with out a hardware conflict.

You may have onboard video. You can easily check by looking on the back of your computer for a VGA connector much like what is on your agp video card. If you have one on the motherboard then yes you have onboard video.

Check the device manager for any conflicts also.

JSYK for windows XP you can turn off the interface and make it look much like windows 2000. Thats all xp is. 2000 with a pretty interface but you can turn all of that stuff off.

Again i believe it is more of a software issue then it is hardware. 98 is notorious for IRQ conflicts.

good luck!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
May 6, 2002 6:00:53 PM

Hey Skater,

Like I wrote in my initial post I didn't have this problem until I switched from the DFI to the MSI board.

I appreciate the input and there is something you said that I'm going to check on.

In SystemInfo I checked with IRQ sharing and there are no conflicts whatsoever. Then again this is Microsoft doing the checking.

I'd love to run LINUX 'cause I've heard it's a very stable platform but unfortunately I can't even get past loading the kernel.

I've tried the XP and I know about the interface. I just can't let 98SE go. I like it too much.

No, I don't have onboard video. I know 'cause my old DFI mobo had it. Onboard VGA has a 15 plug (female) adapter.
Serial has 9 pins (male)

Maybe I'll load the Win2000 on the 2nd HD just for fun.

May 6, 2002 6:12:18 PM

Hey Skater,

Just checked your link @ anandtech. You use Mandrake 8.1 on your 2nd 'Puter. Mind giving me some advice on how to install LINUX? I've got the complete 6.2 version on CDs.

May 6, 2002 9:43:15 PM

Ayup. Well, the 6340M was the only thing close I saw on their web site.Certainly a motherboard with onboard video will have an AGP slot if it's any good at all. After all, you might just want to upgrade your video at some point in the future.
BTW, I hope that you disable that onboard sound if you have a separate sound card!

squirrelz

It's not the SIZE of your nuts that counts, it's how fast they run!
May 7, 2002 12:07:05 PM

Yo Squirrel,

The thing with the MS-6340 is, it had so many different versions and nomenclature that it was confusing. I believe I've found out which one it really is. It's also called the K7TM Pro. What's confusing is you have the K7M Pro, K7T Turbo, I could list them all but you get what I mean. I looked at the illus and the fact that when I put the mouse on the K7TM Pro it highlights it as MS-6340. The others have different model designations and the mobos are totally different than mine. Also there are 2 types that fall under MS-6340. The K7TM Pro and the K7M. The Pro having onboard sound and the latter w/out.
I'm running the onboard sound because I only have 3 PCIs. I want to keep the one next to the AGP slot free for cooling 'cause my graphics has a HSF on the chipset.

!