Keleneki

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
I have a Epox 8KHA+ motherboard with a Athlon XP 1900 CPU and an MSI GeForce Ti 200 video card. When I go to the BIOS, I see that there is only AGP 1X and AGP 2X. There is no AGP 4X choice even though this motherboard is supposed to have that choice. I went to the Epox Web site and I see that in the BIOS section, they mention in one of the upgrades that, "Change AGP driving for AGP 4X in KT266A CE Version." This is for the 8khi1a17.exe version. Is this what is causing the problem for me not to have the AGP 4X choice? If this is the case, should I flash this version, or should I get the latest version?

I am a little uncomfortable about flashing BIOS because I have never done it before but the instructions seem fairly simple. I will give it a try after I receive some acknowledgement that this would be the correct thing for me to do.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance from the community at Tom's Hardware. You folks seem to know more about computers than any other Web site that I have ever visited.

Thank you in advance.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey K,

Did you install the Via 4 in 1 drivers after you installed your OS?

Don't flash your Bios yet, but if you do, it is supper easy.

Peace Out..............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

Keleneki

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
I think I installed the Via 4 in 1 drivers from the CD-ROM that came with my motherboard. I followed the instructions in the readme file in the folder. I had to click the button once (although I thought I would have to do it several times since it mentioned that there were several things that would be installed) and then it said to reboot.

I went ahead and flashed the BIOS to the latest version and I still only have 1X and 2X. This computer runs really smoothly but I was always under the impression that going at 4X would give me faster FPS for my gaming.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey K,

I didn't think flashing the bios would help, 4X AGP is not a new setting. Ok, try this(if you are game), "Remove" your Video Adapter in the device manager, throw the mobo cd in the drive, uninstall the Via 4 in 1 drivers . Restart. Reinstall Via 4 in 1 drivers. Reinstall the Video card(if windows doesn't do by itself).

I have that very same mobo & 4X will help you get faster FPS. Good Luck, I can't think of anything else right now.

Peace Out..................tile

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There's not much difference with 4X but to get it to work you need to re-load the 4-in-1 drivers and remember to select "Turbo Mode" for the AGP driver.

When reloading/updating 4-in-1 drivers, to get a clean installation, it's best to delete the old drivers. To do this just run the new installer and select the delete option for each component. Don't reboot when you are prompted but run the installer a second time instead. This time let all the components load.

You can get the latest 4-in-1 drivers at the link below.
<A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, my mistake. I didn't realize you aren't able to select 4X in BIOS. Windows drivers, 4-in-1's nor others, have nothing to do with BIOS issues of course. My suggestion is for those who select 4X in BIOS but the card only works at 2X in windows.

I don't have a clue for your problem if a BIOS update doesn't fix it.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 05/05/02 11:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Keleneki

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
I did that adapter uninstall followed by the Via 4 in 1 uninstall. Windows XP put my video adapter back on when I rebooted and I reinstalled the 4 in 1 drivers. After going to BIOS again after rebooting, I still only get 1X and 2X for choices. I welcome any other suggestions that you can come up with and thanks for responding to my post.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey K,

I have only had this problem one other time. I called tech support at Shuttle & they told me with that mobo that my GeForce2 could only run at 1X. So I ended up getting another ATi video card that the mobo could run at 2X(this was a while back on a old Slot A mobo).

You might try sending EPoX a email asking if this is known problem or is there sometime that we have overlooked, that you could do to get 4X AGP. You might have to RMA the mobo, but ask tech support first. I can't think of anything else, I think that you have done everything right. Good Luck

Peace Out.............tile