Window popup keeps saying cannot find

Popup window keeps telling me cannot find

C:\WINDOWS\bxxs5.dll

What is it?

Do I need it?

If I need it how do I find it and get it back?
1 answer Last reply
More about window popup find

    notp wrote:
    > Popup window keeps telling me cannot find
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\bxxs5.dll
    >
    > What is it?
    >
    > Do I need it?
    >

    > If I need it how do I find it and get it back?

    Google Searches are wonderful.
    You should try them.

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/bookedspace/index.phtml

    Follow this advice:

    Popups and Home Page Hijacks come in several flavors.. However, if
    you use most of the items in the list I am about to give you, you will
    lessen your popups, security holes and spam all with one list. Your
    problem may be Messenger Popups (you should follow the firewall
    advice and do a Google search on 'disable messenger service in
    windows xp' to fix this) or web page popups (you should follow the
    Google Toolbar advice section for these.) You may have
    spyware/adware infesting your machine, follow the appropriate
    section for that, making sure you use at least THREE of the tools
    I list to scan and clean your machine AFTER updating them.
    Cleaning up spyware/adware/malware usually solves home page
    hijackers as well.

    Please Notice that if you use AOL, you should at least upgrade to 9.0 or
    greater before doing any of the fixes. I know you can get AOL 9.0 at almost
    any convenience store, gas station, super market or other retail outlet in
    the world, so this should not be a problem.

    Turn on that firewall...
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp
    (It has been reported that it now works with AOL 9.0+)

    Make sure you have all the updates (critical) installed from:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    (Scan for updates, Review and Install)

    Get rid of the spy/ad/mal-ware..
    (Yes - using MORE than one of these..
    I recommend at least the first three. Also..
    UPDATE the definitions for them before using.)

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.net/

    Lavasoft AdAware
    http://www.lavasoft.de

    CWSShredder

    Hijack This!
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    I also like "The Cleaner" and "SpywareBlaster" and "SpywareGuard".
    - http://www.moosoft.com/
    - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The first is a PAY product, but useable for 30 days - it has found and
    eliminated problems in the past the others did not. The latter two are
    prevention mechanisms. I like SpywareGuard for those with enough processor
    to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser
    hijacking quite well.

    And Assortment of Others:
    http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

    After you cleanup your PC somewhat of spy/ad/mal-ware, verify your antivirus
    software is updated and run a full scan of your computer. If you have no
    antivirus software - get one NOW! Grisoft AntiVirus:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about
    80 to 120MB (seems to be an optimal size for the normal user)

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section,
    do the following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the
    "Amount of disk space to use:" to something between 80MB
    and 120MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to
    "Delete all offline contents" (the checkbox) and click
    OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10 minutes or
    more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    - Re-open Internet Explorer.

    Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is to
    your advantage to remove it.

    Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    Google Toolbar.
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the startup
    tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with Google
    to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    malware infecting your computer.

    Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend dealing
    with SPAM:
    SpamBayes
    http://spambayes.sourceforge.net
    or