Oblivion Problem - Please help

UsernameX

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Alright I was going through the tweak guide trying to make improvments to gameplay. Unfortunately after I was done tweaking and then started up a saved game, my screen is completely blank. I can't see anything it's like the fog effect is on full 100%. I cant even see my own character. So I replaced the edited oblivion.ini with the default one and it still is having the same issue!!!! Crap!! What do I do??

G

reinstall? But make sure you delete your ini file first. Located in mydocs/etc...

UsernameX

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Alright, I reinstalled the game, deleted the profile for oblivion under my documents, restarted my system, restored my saved games, and unfortunately I am still in the same boat =(

Crap, this really has me worried. All the time I've put into this game so far... i don't want to lose it all.

Please help!

mattyink

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Alright, I reinstalled the game, deleted the profile for oblivion under my documents, restarted my system, restored my saved games, and unfortunately I am still in the same boat =(

Crap, this really has me worried. All the time I've put into this game so far... i don't want to lose it all.

Please help!

WEll im in no way a techie and not sure i can help you , but if u did all u said in that order could it be the problem? i mean u reinstalled then deleted the oblivion profile.
Maybe do it the other way around? i have no clue if im making sence tho sorry if i couldnt help you out.

vlad1982

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Guys I have a problem with Oblivion, when i start the game it appeares as a small window in the left right corner and an error message AppName: oblivion.exe AppVer: 0.1.0.228 ModName: oblivion.exe
ModVer: 0.1.0.228 Offset: 000912a6... do you know what ight the problem be?

My copmuter is an adm xp 2200+ 512ram, Nvidia gforce 3 Ti 128 ram.

Please help me
My mail is vladoprea1982@yahoo.com

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Guys I have a problem with Oblivion, when i start the game it appeares as a small window in the left right corner and an error message AppName: oblivion.exe AppVer: 0.1.0.228 ModName: oblivion.exe

Please help me

im gonna murder the next person that comes on here with a gfx card UNDER THE FX series, and then wonders why it doesnt work....THERE IS A LIST OF REQUIREMENTS ON THE BOX I SUGGEST YOU READ THEM!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

sorry for sounding harsh.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Many moons ago, Nvidia released a GPU - the Geforce. So named because the 3-D acceleration would rip your face off and laugh at your misery.

Many moons later, another Geforce was begat, the third in number. This one not only ripped your face off, no, it ripped your whole head off while buggering you with a large titanium rod.

Stuff happened.

We now have the 7th generation of Geforce and it pretty much destroys minor civilizations for a chuckle.

Enter Vlad, 23 years of age: "Guys, how come Oblivion - a game with the most advanced graphics to date - wont run on my four-generations-old video card? I know that it says, quite clearly, on the box about Geforces in the requirements and I have a Geforces so it should work. OMG, I hate this bug and Bethesda sux."

drkspidr

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
im gonna murder the next person that comes on here with a gfx card UNDER THE FX series, and then wonders why it doesnt work....THERE IS A LIST OF REQUIREMENTS ON THE BOX I SUGGEST YOU READ THEM!!!!

Just as a point of information, it does say that FX series of cards are supported.

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card
and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse
Supported Video Card Chipsets:

ATI X1900 series
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1600 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series
ATI x800 series
ATI x700 series
ATI x600 series
ATI Radeon 9800 series
ATI Radeon 9700 series
ATI Radeon 9600 series
ATI Radeon 9500 series
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
NVIDIA GeForce FX series

Dark Spider

red_onion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
windos xp, it is a windows error, so i must be running windos xp sp2 :twisted:

I just saw your comments on the same topic in another post (not a good idea, by the way). I'm not sure what makes you think Windows is the problem. I'm running XP SP2 with no problems at all. I think other posters have made it abundantly clear that your graphics card is below required specification and is unsupported and stands almost no chance of even opening the game, let alone running it.

I don't mean to throw money around like it's nothing, but I'm seeing GeForce 6800 XTs for about $100 after rebates (including shipping). It really might be time.

red_onion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I know that it says, quite clearly, on the box about Geforces in the requirements and I have a Geforces so it should work.

Unless, of course, it's a cracked copy without a box ...

OMG, I hate this bug and Bethesda sux.

Why does this make me laugh so hard? I don't know, it just does. :D :D :D

drkspidr

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
UNDER! UNDER! the fx series....

Ahh... I misread your meaning. Where I am from that statement would mean "Under the category of" whereas you meant "Under the performance of".

Dark Spider

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
UNDER! UNDER! the fx series....

Ahh... I misread your meaning. Where I am from that statement would mean "Under the category of" whereas you meant "Under the performance of".

Dark Spider

ive calmed down now i can see how you could make that mistake...sorry.

whats that windows guy going on about? its his gfx card not windows.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Alright I was going through the tweak guide trying to make improvments to gameplay. Unfortunately after I was done tweaking and then started up a saved game, my screen is completely blank. I can't see anything it's like the fog effect is on full 100%. I cant even see my own character. So I replaced the edited oblivion.ini with the default one and it still is having the same issue!!!! Crap!! What do I do??
Everything is "fogged out?" That sounds like what are NORMALLY the symptoms of having a card without SM 2.0 support, but you ran it normally beforehand. You say that your reverted your Oblivion.INI file back to what it was beforehand, and the problems still persist... This could be baffling. I'd probably go on to your graphics card settings next. Make sure you didn't disable something you shouldn't have.

Please help me
Well, as it was noted, your graphics card clearly falls less than the minimum requirements; the GeForce 3 Ti only supports up to SM 1.1, (DirectX 8.0) and Oblivion requires SM 2.0. (DirectX 9.0, first found in GeForce FX 5 cards)

Don't fret too much; you can play it, just not well. Go take a look at Oldblivion, and give it a try; thousands of PC users have used it to run Oblivion on DirectX 8.0 and 8.1 cards, including your own kind.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006

Please help me

1. Please don't hijack someone else's thread. This thread is now dominated by people discussing your problem and not the original poster, who had a completely different problem.

2. This is the second time you've posted your problem. This is normally considered bad form on forums, since it clogs up the forums and also means someone who missed the other thread might spend ages typing out a long post which someone else has already covered elsewhere.

3. I'd advise against publishing your email address in a public forum, unless you particularly enjoy spam.

Now, to deal with your problem:

I'm afraid it's probably your graphics card. Oblivion isn't designed to run on a card that old. You MIGHT be able to get it to run with tweaking, but I expect the performance will be so bad as to render the game unplayable.

123jake

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I have a major problem with oblivion. When i started the game i couldn't see my character in the background it was a white screen all I could see was the text, the health meter, cumpass and the other icons. The game works but its just a white screen please help i just got it. I tried restarting my computer and re-installing it but nothing changed. My computer has met the minimum requirements. and it said on the box directx 9.0 included but maybe directX 9.0 didn't install? But when i tested directX it said i have version 9.0. thanks

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Since you were replying to my post, it might have been nice if you'd read it - especially the point about hijacking someone else's thread. :p

Without providing more details of your computer set-up it will be difficult for anyone to help you. But from the sparse details you've already provided I note that you don't say that you've installed the latest drivers for your graphics card. This would be a good start.

I suggest you start a new thread and post exactly what the symptoms of your problem are, what you have tried already, and give details of your hardware, operating system etc.

123jake

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
sorry didn't know how to post a new one. And I found out my problem on internet. I was wondering if anyone knew a list of graphic cards for or less than 200$. that will work good with oblivion and will work on a dell. Thanks.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
sorry didn't know how to post a new one. And I found out my problem on internet. I was wondering if anyone knew a list of graphic cards for or less than 200$. that will work good with oblivion and will work on a dell. Thanks.

The button at the top left marked "new topic" is the one you need.
For advice of graphics cards in general, go to the Graphics Card forum in the Hardware section and read the "sticky" thread. In general ATI cards outperform NVidia for Oblivion (due to the ATI cards having more vertex shaders I think).

Embra

Distinguished

LOL .....this this poor guy ever get helped? :eek: