LightOfTheValar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I have two problems.

The first one completely baffles me. Just as in Morrowind, characters are supposed to say things to me and to each other as i walk past them. Usually If i start playing and I am near someone, this works. But as soon as I press esc. to save or even go into my inventory, the characters stop talking. They move their mouths and say nothing. They all go silent. I can put on subtitles but it is nothing like the real thing. (they still speak if i actually talk to them, though.) I don't have a clue what's going on.

The second problem is kind of strange. The game slows down if I have it on anything other than the lowest resolution. So I keep it on this level and put anti-aliasing on to smooth out rough edges this creates. The game runs perfectly smoothly except for a few things. Some spells slow the game down ridiculously and whenever there is an oblivion gate in view it is almost impossible to move. My guess is that the anti-aliasing effect takes a long time to load when there is something very complicated going on that is not just a solid object. I am confused because i have 1.25 gigs of ram and this seems like a ram problem to me (correct me if i am wrong.) Any thoughts?

By the way, I have a 2.8 GHz processor and an ati radeon x600. (possible problems?

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Very odd. I get the framerate issue too, around unusual lighting conditions. I haven't pinpointed exactly what or why yet. I'm running it at 1280 X 1024, with all the sliders maxed, and it runs 'ok'. I'd rather see the eye candy, as I'm a passive player (read Thief). But as for your issue, it sounds the same, on a grander scale. I would guess that it's your video card. I swapped mine twice to get the game to play. I went from a ATI Radeon 9000 to an Asus (nVidia) 5970 with 256. Then I tried the BFG 6800 GS OC 256, and the game came alive.

As far as RAM, I have a gig of 3200. When i was experimenting, I added another gig from my other pc, and it made no significant impact on framerates.

Dunno if any of that helps, but i tried.

:?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok first off i have your first problem although the sound comes back after 10 secs...

2nd the game is gfx intensive so your gfx card is the problem...

there is a tweak for the oblivion gates and any other transparent effects that should help your fps.

you can find a link to a tweak guide here

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/games/OBLIVION-TWEAK-GUIDE-ftopict95646.html

bUseRefractionShader=1 - This setting controls the shimmery/invisibility effect. Setting it to 0 can noticeably boost FPS in areas where this effect is used, such as around invisible characters, or at an Oblivion gate. Note in particular that ATI users who have major problems in such areas in particular should set this to 0, though that in turn may cause other problems.

i dont know what the other problems are, although this guy doesnt normally list stuff, that will stuff up your machine and normally says that he doesnt recommend something if he thinks it wil spoil gameplay.

G

For the sound bug I reccomend you go to the official forums. You're not the only one with this problem... (You use onboard sound?)

As for the other problem; the x600 isn't exactly the fastest GC. That owuld be the reason. AA also slows you down hard.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
For the sound bug I reccomend you go to the official forums. You're not the only one with this problem... (You use onboard sound?)

As for the other problem; the x600 isn't exactly the fastest GC. That owuld be the reason. AA also slows you down hard.

nah fluff i have a audigy 2 zs as far as i can tell most ppl are having this problem with sound blaster products.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I have two problems.

The first one completely baffles me. Just as in Morrowind, characters are supposed to say things to me and to each other as i walk past them. Usually If i start playing and I am near someone, this works. But as soon as I press esc. to save or even go into my inventory, the characters stop talking. They move their mouths and say nothing. They all go silent. I can put on subtitles but it is nothing like the real thing. (they still speak if i actually talk to them, though.) I don't have a clue what's going on.

The second problem is kind of strange. The game slows down if I have it on anything other than the lowest resolution. So I keep it on this level and put anti-aliasing on to smooth out rough edges this creates. The game runs perfectly smoothly except for a few things. Some spells slow the game down ridiculously and whenever there is an oblivion gate in view it is almost impossible to move. My guess is that the anti-aliasing effect takes a long time to load when there is something very complicated going on that is not just a solid object. I am confused because i have 1.25 gigs of ram and this seems like a ram problem to me (correct me if i am wrong.) Any thoughts?

By the way, I have a 2.8 GHz processor and an ati radeon x600. (possible problems?

Sound Card Drivers? lol I HAVE NO IDEA

G

I have got the same card. And I had the problem. Somehow the windows sound config switched from 7.1 to surround sound. (The reative config still was on 7.1). Switching it back to 7.1 in the win sound settings solved the problem.

LightOfTheValar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
i'm using an hp pavilion laptop. i tried changing the speaker settings to laptop stereo and laptop mono but it still doesnt work. strangely enough though, it works at first, but as soon as i esc out or go into my inventory it stops working.

Nil

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
i'm using an hp pavilion laptop. i tried changing the speaker settings to laptop stereo and laptop mono but it still doesnt work. strangely enough though, it works at first, but as soon as i esc out or go into my inventory it stops working.

One thing to try is getting a USB sound device (like a set of headphones) and then nuking (or you may want to just disable it. Nuking does make pretty lights) all of your other sound (your card, in this case, and any onboard you may have) and playing without any sound other than your USB headphones. That will help you know if it's sound or not.

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I have two problems.

Your sound problem seems to stem of sorts from the prioritizing done when you go into the menu. Normally, it's supposed to, as logic would imply, stop their voice files, and when you exit the menu, resume where they left off. Seems in some cases this doesn't work as it should. I have little further to add on that.

As for "RAM problem," and your framerate, you're partly right. Oblivion, when loading cells in particular, will slow down spectacularly. This will be the cause of much of your slowdowns. However, it's usually a PROCESSOR slowdown, as it's running through, and generating all of the materials. To see what it's doing, I suggest pressing tilde (`) to open the console, and type in "TDT" for "display debug text. You can cycle through multiple pages of this by pressing the "Scroll Lock" key, but the first is enough for our purpose: the framerate counter, and the "queued count" number. You obviously know what the former is, but the latter tells you how many objects are currently queued to be processed, and finally loaded. You might notice things like trees and rocks popping up out of nowhere in these instances. Having faster RAM doesn't actually seem to help much, but having more RAM does, at least in cases of returning to cells you've been to before.

What the REAL RAM speed problem is, though, is your video RAM's bandwidth. Know that the X600 is simply a 9600 modified to be PCI-express and re-branded. To compare, think of it as about 25-30% of what you'd get in, say, an X800XT. Hence, your X600 has only a 128-bit memory interface, and uses plain DDR memory; if it's an X600pro, it's at ~500MHz, and for an X600XT, at ~600MHz. This will seriously limit you in-game, and hence why reducing the resolution helps a lot.

JitWad

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
I read about a common problem on the official forums with audio codecs. The game gets a little "confused" if you have a whack of 3rd party audio codecs installed (from encoding software, media players, etc). They recommend removing any 3rd party ones -- all but the default winblows codecs and Bethesda's codec -- to correct some of the sound issues.... just careful what you remove if you choose to try it.

There is a guide on the Oblivion forums somewhere -- sorry for not linking directly to it, I do not have an account at the Elder Scrolls forums so I am not allowed to use the search feature :lol:

TRENDING THREADS