XP works only in safe mode

Aloha from Honolulu!

My XP Home freezes up as soon as I move the mouse, but it works fine
in safe mode. I have defragged, virus scanned, and used Ad-Aware.

What else could it be?

George

Try System Restore:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore
Choose date/time before this started.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Army George" <res0km2r@REMOVEverizonDELETE.net> wrote in message
> Aloha from Honolulu!
>
> My XP Home freezes up as soon as I move the mouse, but it works fine
> in safe mode. I have defragged, virus scanned, and used Ad-Aware.
>
> What else could it be?
>
> George

"Army George" <res0km2r@REMOVEverizonDELETE.net> wrote in message
> Aloha from Honolulu!
>
> My XP Home freezes up as soon as I move the mouse, but it works fine
> in safe mode. I have defragged, virus scanned, and used Ad-Aware.
>
> What else could it be?
>
> George

Re-install (or update) your video drivers.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks, but I didn't install anything. It just started having
problems. If it was a hardware conflict, wouldn't it conflit in safe
mode as well? --George

Army George wrote:
> Thanks, but I didn't install anything. It just started having
> problems. If it was a hardware conflict, wouldn't it conflit in safe
> mode as well? --George

If you did not add or change hardware, then, have you added any programs or utilities?

Use XP's Event Viewer to see if it has some entries related to your probem ---perhaps by date & time.
Start button/ Run / type
eventvwr.msc<enter> --
or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.
Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred.
Double click the line that is at issue---the information may give a clue.

Also, Go to My Computer > Properties > System properties display > "Advanced" TAB > in the "Startup and Recovery" section....click the "settings" button. "Un-check" the "automatically restart" line.
Apply the changes.

This will keep it from "rebooting on error", but will cause the actual "exception" to show up.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Army George" <res0km2r@REMOVEverizonDELETE.net> wrote in message
> > Aloha from Honolulu!
> >
> > My XP Home freezes up as soon as I move the mouse, but it works fine
> > in safe mode. I have defragged, virus scanned, and used Ad-Aware.
> >
> > What else could it be?
> >
> > George
>
> Re-install (or update) your video drivers.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC

And mouse drivers if a Restore didn't help and you have any kind of fancy or
added fun ction mouse especially.

Thanks for thr great tips...here's what I found undet SYSTEM in EVENT
VIEWER...what's it mean <gulp>?

"The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."

I can get around okay in safe mode...what's going on?

George;
Go to the website of your hard drive manufacturer and download the
hard drive diagnostics.
You may have a hard drive problem so now is a good time to back-up if
you do not have current back-ups.

--

> Thanks for thr great tips...here's what I found undet SYSTEM in
EVENT
> VIEWER...what's it mean <gulp>?
>
> "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."
>
> I can get around okay in safe mode...what's going on?

Thanks, as soon as I get it to work, i'll load the tool.

In the middle of a R repair right now...it's time to consider Linux!