Mobo killing Hard Disks?

G

Hi,

I just posted to the hard Disks section with this same problem, sorry if you've read this problem already.

In short I've just lost 2 IBM Desktar (7200) and a Seagate Barracuda (7200) drives. All independantly, ie they all broke the exact same way in my PC one at a time.

I would start getting lots of cross-linked files and delyaed write errors in win XP pro. Scandisk reports no errors and eventually the drive starts going WHIIIIR-CLUNK...WHIRRR-CLUNK and then stops detecting in BIOS completely!

I have no idea whats causing it. Could my Mobo (ASUS P3V4X) be the issue? the power supply (300W AOpen) ?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks for your time :)

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i haven't ahd that problem with multiple dirves liek you but just yesterday my damn Maxtor 40gb drive started doing that kerplunk crap while loading win98. it doesn't work anymore, even scandisk gets stuck on that same part of the hard drive. now i ahve to rma, but could this be related to my abit TH7II mb or was it just a defective hard drive?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
the mb is not responsable but his settings maybe...

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive had my hard drives + overclocking kill my motherboard :smile:

2 kt133a chipsets with perminantly fried IDE/southbridge problems.

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrage councilling!

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
Check your PSU voltages, especially the +12V line.

I have heard of hard disks being fried when the +12V line got significantly over 12Volts.