I'm on BT openworld broadband. I can connect perfectly,
but each time I go into Internet Explorer (i.e. for the
first time after I've connected) - the system 'throws me
out'. This has been happening for weeks ... is it a virus?
Help.

bar

Error message or not: what you suggest is that

you establish your internet connection:
then on the first attempt to Open Internet Explorer [to a web site],
you get a blank page or
does your connection disconnect?
Once you have repeated all or some of the above, you are able to browse without problem.

If you get a blank page, then it may be a worm is lurking in your PC.

If your ISP [BT Openworld] disconnects you, then call their help desk and have them assist you resolve the issue.

Hi

Do you see any error messages when the problem occurs?

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"RobertaNI" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm on BT openworld broadband. I can connect perfectly,
> but each time I go into Internet Explorer (i.e. for the
> first time after I've connected) - the system 'throws me
> out'. This has been happening for weeks ... is it a virus?
> Help.

---

Thanks - yes I do.
I have established a connection & then at the first
attempt to access a web page i get "Internet Explorer has
encountered a problem & needs to close. We are sorry for
this inconvenience.". Then I get the option to
either 'send' or 'don't send' the error message to
Microsoft. Explorer then closes down & I have to re-open.
Help!

(http://www.grisoft.com).
09/04/2004

>.

Yes, I've established an Internet connection & then at
the first attempt to access a web page i get "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close. We
are sorry for this inconvenience.". Then I get the option
to either 'send' or 'don't send' the error message to
Microsoft. Explorer then closes down & I have to re-open.
Help!

Open the Internet Options applet in Control Panel
Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" on the Advanced tab.
You may also have to set the Home Page to about:blank

Then eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com