IE Start Up

I'm on BT openworld broadband. I can connect perfectly,
but each time I go into Internet Explorer (i.e. for the
first time after I've connected) - the system 'throws me
out'. This has been happening for weeks ... is it a virus?
Help.
5 answers Last reply
More about start

    Error message or not: what you suggest is that

    you establish your internet connection:
    then on the first attempt to Open Internet Explorer [to a web site],
    you get a blank page or
    does your connection disconnect?
    Once you have repeated all or some of the above, you are able to browse without problem.

    If you get a blank page, then it may be a worm is lurking in your PC.

    If your ISP [BT Openworld] disconnects you, then call their help desk and have them assist you resolve the issue.

    Hi

    Do you see any error messages when the problem occurs?

    --

    Will Denny

    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    "RobertaNI" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm on BT openworld broadband. I can connect perfectly,
    > but each time I go into Internet Explorer (i.e. for the
    > first time after I've connected) - the system 'throws me
    > out'. This has been happening for weeks ... is it a virus?
    > Help.

    ---

    Thanks - yes I do.
    I have established a connection & then at the first
    attempt to access a web page i get "Internet Explorer has
    encountered a problem & needs to close. We are sorry for
    this inconvenience.". Then I get the option to
    either 'send' or 'don't send' the error message to
    Microsoft. Explorer then closes down & I have to re-open.
    Help!

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    09/04/2004

    >.

    Yes, I've established an Internet connection & then at
    the first attempt to access a web page i get "Internet
    Explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close. We
    are sorry for this inconvenience.". Then I get the option
    to either 'send' or 'don't send' the error message to
    Microsoft. Explorer then closes down & I have to re-open.
    Help!

    Open the Internet Options applet in Control Panel
    Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" on the Advanced tab.
    You may also have to set the Home Page to about:blank

    Then eliminate any scumware.
    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
    If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
    in the same thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Broadband Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP