256 colors!!!!!

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Hi
Could you please tell me how or if I can set my pc to 256 colours, my son has a cd game he wants to play but in order for it to play I need to set my pc to 256 colors but I dont know how to or if I can.
Please advise, I am using windows xp
Many Thanks Kenny

kenny;

From XP HELP:
To switch your display to 256 colors
[[Some games and other software programs require that your monitor be set to
256 colors, or they run better in 256 colors. Many of those programs will
switch your monitor to 256 colors automatically when you start the program.
For those that don't, follow the steps below if you want to switch the
display temporarily while the game or program is running.

On your desktop or on the Start menu, right-click the game or other program
that you want to run in 256 colors, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab.
Select the Run in 256 colors check box.
Notes
The screen will revert to your default color quality when you close the
program.
Try switching to 256 colors if your software program shows the wrong color
or the graphics redraw slowly.
If your software program appears in a small window in the center of your
screen, you can increase its size by changing your screen resolution
temporarily. Follow the procedure above, but in step 3 select the Run in
640x480 screen resolution check box. Your screen resolution will revert to
its previous resolution when you close the program.
The Compatibility tab is available only for programs or games located on
your computer's hard disk. It is not available if the program is stored on a
floppy disk, compact disk, or a network.]]
----------

To change the number of colors displayed on a monitor
[[Open Display in Control Panel.
On the Settings tab, in the Color quality list, click a different color
setting.
Notes
To open Display, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
then double-click Display.
Choose Medium to display over 65,000 colors, High to display over 16 million
colors, and Highest to display over 4 billion colors. Choosing more colors
provides better color quality on your screen.
Settings that display a larger number of colors normally require more
computer memory and might affect performance on older computers.
You can switch your color quality temporarily to 256 colors if you have
games or other programs that perform better or must run at that level. To
switch to 256 colors, right-click the game or program (on the desktop or on
the Start menu), and then click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, and
then select the Run in 256 colors check box. Your display reverts to its
default color quality when you close the program.
Your monitor and video adapter determine the color settings that are
available for your screen.
Changes to the color settings affect all users that log on to the computer.
Only the recommended color settings are listed. For additional settings,
click the Advanced button on the Settings tab, click the Adapter tab, and
then click List all Modes. Select the resolution, color level, and refresh
rate you want.
If you are using multiple monitors, you can specify the color settings for
each installed monitor. If you click the icon for a secondary monitor, the
Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box must be selected to
change the settings for that monitor.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:59EB80DD-3619-4DCF-8FB8-B7CFAA3525C9@microsoft.com,
kenny <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi
> Could you please tell me how or if I can set my pc to 256 colours, my
> son has a cd game he wants to play but in order for it to play I need
> to set my pc to 256 colors but I dont know how to or if I can. Please
> advise, I am using windows xp
> Many Thanks Kenny

try typing in the word COLOR in Help and Support right in your own PC...and
read about it...then you'll know about colors..reading is good...

---

If you don't want to answer the question why do you keep
posting telling people to read? If you read so much and
know all the answers, help people. Not everyone has the
ability to research the answers, that's why they post here
for assistance.

4/9/2004