Changing computer name, etc.

New to WinXP...
Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home edition)
from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything else to
change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it alone".

Suggestions please,
L.
4 answers Last reply
More about changing computer name

    There is no need to contact Microsoft about the change.

    The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old
    account to new account:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    System Properties:
    Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
    > New to WinXP...
    > Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
    edition)
    > from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
    > Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
    > Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
    else to
    > change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
    > Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it
    alone".

    > Suggestions please,
    > L.

    Created a new user account named Lewis & Pat..
    Changed computer name to same.
    Deleted all user accounts except new one.
    Still have folders named nathan, all users, default user under "documents
    and setting". Won't let me delete folder's', right click delete.
    Also noticed that the other folders/accounts have a folder labeled
    application data, mine does not.

    suggestions please,

    L.

    > There is no need to contact Microsoft about the change.
    >
    > The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old
    > account to new account:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
    >
    > System Properties:
    > Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
    > > New to WinXP...
    > > Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
    > edition)
    > > from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
    > > Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
    > > Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
    > else to
    > > change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
    > > Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it
    > alone".
    > >
    > > Suggestions please,
    > > L.

    Greetings --

    To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
    use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The C:\Documents and Settings\Username folders _cannot_ be
    renamed, even if the associated user account has been. So, your best
    course of action would be to log on using the built-in Administrator
    account, create a new user account, with the username desired. You
    can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
    > New to WinXP...
    > Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
    > edition)
    > from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
    > Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
    > Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
    > else to
    > change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
    > Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it
    > alone".
    >
    > Suggestions please,
    > L.

    "Application Data" is normally a hidden file.
    Nathan is safe to delete as long as the user is gone, leave the
    others.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and delete the Nathan folder.

    --

    > Created a new user account named Lewis & Pat..
    > Changed computer name to same.
    > Deleted all user accounts except new one.
    > Still have folders named nathan, all users, default user under
    "documents
    > and setting". Won't let me delete folder's', right click delete.
    > Also noticed that the other folders/accounts have a folder labeled
    > application data, mine does not.
    >
    > suggestions please,
    >
    > L.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > There is no need to contact Microsoft about the change.
    > >
    > > The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from
    old
    > > account to new account:
    > >
    > > System Properties:
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
    > > > New to WinXP...
    > > > Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
    > > edition)
    > > > from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
    > > > Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on
    everything.
    > > > Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
    > > else to
    > > > change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
    > > > Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave
    it
    > > alone".
    > > >
    > > > Suggestions please,
    > > > L.