Changing computer name, etc.

April 12, 2004 2:38:00 PM

New to WinXP...
Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home edition)
from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything else to
change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it alone".

Suggestions please,
L.

More about : changing computer

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 3:18:07 PM

There is no need to contact Microsoft about the change.

The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old
account to new account:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

System Properties:
Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
> New to WinXP...
> Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
edition)
> from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
> Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
> Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
else to
> change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
> Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it
alone".

> Suggestions please,
> L.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 6:39:02 PM

Created a new user account named Lewis & Pat..
Changed computer name to same.
Deleted all user accounts except new one.
Still have folders named nathan, all users, default user under "documents
and setting". Won't let me delete folder's', right click delete.
Also noticed that the other folders/accounts have a folder labeled
application data, mine does not.

suggestions please,

L.

> There is no need to contact Microsoft about the change.
>
> The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old
> account to new account:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
>
> System Properties:
> Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
> > New to WinXP...
> > Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
> edition)
> > from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
> > Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
> > Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
> else to
> > change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
> > Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it
> alone".
> >
> > Suggestions please,
> > L.

April 13, 2004 12:00:40 AM

Greetings --

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

The C:\Documents and Settings\Username folders _cannot_ be
renamed, even if the associated user account has been. So, your best
course of action would be to log on using the built-in Administrator
account, create a new user account, with the username desired. You
can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
> New to WinXP...
> Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home
> edition)
> from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
> Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine(lewis) on everything.
> Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything
> else to
> change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
> Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it
> alone".
>
> Suggestions please,
> L.

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:50:55 AM

"Application Data" is normally a hidden file.
Nathan is safe to delete as long as the user is gone, leave the
others.

Reboot to Safe Mode and delete the Nathan folder.

--

!