[SOLVED] Ram memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouida007

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello,i just upgraded my new macbook pro 13" 2.3 ghz ,intel i5.this laptop ws bought with DDR3 2x2gb of ram. i upgraded to 2x4gb of ram . although the computer recognizes the upgrade I'm not seeing the type of results i expected. is their any way or any thing i have to do after installing the upgraded ram to benefit from this upgrade. also is their particular apps,speed etc.. i should expect from the upgrade..

Solution

What type of results did you expect? Remember, if you haven't upgraded your hard drive from that embarrassing 5,400 RPM drive that was included with your MacBook Pro you're not going to get that snappy performance you may be expecting. Now, if you're running a 7,200 rpm drive or an SSD you should have good performance...

halcyon

Splendid

What type of results did you expect? Remember, if you haven't upgraded your hard drive from that embarrassing 5,400 RPM drive that was included with your MacBook Pro you're not going to get that snappy performance you may be expecting. Now, if you're running a 7,200 rpm drive or an SSD you should have good performance. Also note that if you're running OS X 10.7 Lion it tends to use more ram just for general operating and housekeeping (in my experience) so it takes more RAM to give it that punch that 4GB can add to 10.6.8. A good app, available in the Mac App Store, is iCleanMemory. It'll show you, unobtrusively, and in real-time, used and available RAM as well as allow you to optimize that RAM usage on the fly. ...for the $2 cost of entry, its well worth it, IMO.

Solution

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Another thing you may want to look at is the speeds of the RAM that you are using. Compare the two, if you have replaced RAM that is actually faster you would see little to no results.

Status
Not open for further replies.