"Location" on my LG 4500

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 18, 2004 8:48:58 PM

On my LG 4500 phone there is a menu choice of "location", and it lets you
choose E911 or all the time. I know what this is and means, but who other
than the 911 system would be able to use the location feature? Are there
other people that can use this and find out my location if I leave this set
to "all the time"? In fact, is the E911 system implemented in my area (New
York City)? Just wondering?

Bob

More about : location 4500

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 10:31:55 PM

Hey Bob: This is a good question, as people have posted where it doesn't
work; or where Verizon doesn't support it "yet". So, if you would be so
kind as to do a *611 on your phone, and ask Verizon if they are supporting
"location services", please let us all know what area you were in and what
there answer was.

And in my opinion "yes". Yes, I am of the opinion that there are
organizations, (if not now, but coming soon) who will be able to "query"
your phone and get whatever location information is in your phone "out".
You can already buy software that will query GSM phones to do the same
thing. It would be reasonable to expect CDMA and vendors to do the same for
"profit".

A quick yahoo search yielded 140,000 locations with "CDMA location services"
hits. If you do some quick research, I for one would appreciate your
findings.

The Dr.
"Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> On my LG 4500 phone there is a menu choice of "location", and it lets you
> choose E911 or all the time. I know what this is and means, but who other
> than the 911 system would be able to use the location feature? Are there
> other people that can use this and find out my location if I leave this
set
> to "all the time"? In fact, is the E911 system implemented in my area
(New
> York City)? Just wondering?
>
> Bob

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 11:50:55 PM

The dr follows up with CellPoint
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/7572.shtml

Extract from that page: "CDMA network operators can adjust network switches
to comply with the new IS-881 location services standard. This adjustment,
when combined with CellPoint's technology, allows any mobile handset within
a CDMA network to be located. This new capability enables CDMA operators to
begin deploying commercial location services to all subscribers, immediately
creating revenue-generating opportunities."

Expect anything that might create "revenue-generating opportunities" for
Verizon, to be in your best interests. and be forthcoming. (in my opinion)
--
Dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

> "Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > On my LG 4500 phone there is a menu choice of "location", and it lets
you
> > choose E911 or all the time. I know what this is and means, but who
other
> > than the 911 system would be able to use the location feature? Are
there
> > other people that can use this and find out my location if I leave this
> set
> > to "all the time"? In fact, is the E911 system implemented in my area
> (New
> > York City)? Just wondering?
> >
> > Bob
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 10:48:46 AM

I agree. IMO I had thought the 'all the time' setting is to be used
for location aware GIN applications (directions, directory, weather,
whatever...), but have been unsuccesssful trying it that way on the
few of the apps I tested...

!