WinXP reinstall went on D: - how to get onto C:?

Dee

I had to do a reinstall of WinXP Pro, following a software disaster. C:
was reported as being "damaged or unformatted" and that setup needed to
format this drive to continue. This option was accepted.

I have two HDDs, previously the System files were on C:, and D:was used
for backups.
The reinstall, however, (from the WinXP CD-ROM) has put the System Files
(and all other files) on D: thus making D: the boot partition. Now C: is
empty. D: still contains the files that were previously on D:, but now
plus the Windows system files.

I rather felt that lots of applications are set up to look for C:\System
Files by default, and that it is not a good idea to change this
location, so I would like to get the System Files folder/boot partition
off D: and onto C:.

How can I get this to happen please? Now that C: has been repaired, is
it likely that repeating the install would result in the System Files
etc.going onto C:, or do I need to do something different?

Regards.

Hi Dee,

You need to reinstall, this time ensuring that C:\ is the destination.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dee" <deedeebleNOT@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>I had to do a reinstall of WinXP Pro, following a software disaster. C:
> was reported as being "damaged or unformatted" and that setup needed to
> format this drive to continue. This option was accepted.
>
> I have two HDDs, previously the System files were on C:, and D:was used
> for backups.
> The reinstall, however, (from the WinXP CD-ROM) has put the System Files
> (and all other files) on D: thus making D: the boot partition. Now C: is
> empty. D: still contains the files that were previously on D:, but now
> plus the Windows system files.
>
> I rather felt that lots of applications are set up to look for C:\System
> Files by default, and that it is not a good idea to change this
> location, so I would like to get the System Files folder/boot partition
> off D: and onto C:.
>
> How can I get this to happen please? Now that C: has been repaired, is
> it likely that repeating the install would result in the System Files
> etc.going onto C:, or do I need to do something different?
>
> Regards.

Dee

Thanks Rick; will try doing that.

Regards

Dee.
> Hi Dee,
>
> You need to reinstall, this time ensuring that C:\ is the destination.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows

Ron

Due to previously having a dual boot system, XP Home was installed on D: and
since reverting to just using XP, I have formatted C: and left XP on D: I
have not found anything that has balked at being installed on D:

Unless you really want to have your operating system on C: I don't think
there is any real reason to go to the bother of changing.
--
Ron
If you don't look for the bright side, you'll never find it.