Chipset Question

OLIVERNO1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
Hi Guys,
Am in the process of a major upgrade-and have sorted out the fact that i want the XP 1800 + DDR 333 256Meg, however im not so sure about the mobo, I was originally going to buy a Gigabyte GA7dx, but have since seenan Elite k7S6A- which utilises the SIS 745 chipset, if i was to buy this considerably cheaper board, i could buy an extra 128meg of Ram. So the question is is the old adage of "you pay for what you get" true or false in this case.

Thanks Guys.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey O,

Read this first:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/mainboards/kt333-sis745/

I think this will answer your questions...........sorry about the lack of linkifing.

Peace Out............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey O,

Your welcome. After reading that I think you have enough info to make up your own mind. I would go with a KT333 mobo like the Epox, just because in my mind the ECS mobo's are not manufactuered as well as most other brands, yet. This is based on just one experience with a DOA ECS mobo(out of only 2, the other one worked great). It is just too much of a waste to me right now, since I am building these systems as favors or very little money. It takes a few hours to build, load software/os, & updating the software & os. It takes me all day and then some to replace & reseat every component in a system to find the Dead part & call the vendor(& sometimes explain the process you did to determine it was the mobo) & get a RMA. 3 days to get the replacement mobo. And the rest of the year to live down all the smack that people(cheap people) talking trash behind my back will say when I don't give them their computer which they still owe me money on. So you see for me I am not going the ECS route again for awhile. Wow, sorry for that, but, that felt good. If you have the time, all the ECS mobo are good, but for a little more you could have a much better mobo. Good Luck

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey O,

A couple of other things that, I thought you might want to know(or not). Asus & MSI have SiS 745 chipset mobo's out & they are cheap...........$68 USD. Both companys produce top notch mobo's. Although the SiS 745 chipset does not perform as well as the Via KT333 or KT266A or Nvidia nForce. For $68 or less, it might be worth it for most people(this is very true of the growing group of people who hate all things "Via"). For me, my favorite low budget mobo is the Shuttle AK31A(Via KT266A chipset) at $67 from newegg.com, you can't go wrong.

TRENDING THREADS