ECS K7S5A Forgetting BIOS Settings

G

I built a new computer about 2 months ago using the ECS K7S5A mobo. It's worked fine, however, my BIOS settings have been forgotten twice over this time peroid.

The first time this happened was about 2 or 3 weeks after the I got the machine running. All the settings would be set back to default. The computer runs fine in these settings, but it doesn't seem to make much sense why it does this. I also noticed that my computer would decide to randomly access the floppy drive in windows within the first few minutes of being in windows. It would do this only once per boot and would not really be much of a problem, but nevertheless it doesn't seem to make sense. It doesn't ALWAYS do this, however.

Well after the first time the BIOS settings were lost, the computer remembered them for about another month and just now (May 6th, 2002 at around 9:30PM), the computer forgot them again. I set the settings back to what they are supposed to be and the computer is fine. However, I did not notice the floppy drive thing.

If anyone has any information about this problem, please respond.

Thanks

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
For the “BIOS forgetting” I would think on buying a new CMOS battery replacement.

For the floppy access:
1) Be sure that your antivirus is not configured for that (less common)
2) I had that problem with some old BIOS version in another (PCCHIPS) motherboard. Be sure that the option “search for floppy” is disabled in BIOS. Also would be good if you update the BIOS to the lastest version.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
replace the battery.
the one that they included is of poor quality...and many people had this problem....and replacing it fixed the problem...
MIGHT not fix the floppy problem tho. i dont know what is causing that...it MIGHT be the floppy cable, or the power connector for the floppy.
OR, the floppy drive itself. not sure.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Well I don't have any anti-virus programs installed, so I don't think that could be a cause of any of these problems. And how could the battery just fail on me so early in its use? What kind of batteries do you need?

And I was thinking about getting a newer BIOS but when I went to ECS's website, I was kind of confused on which one to download. They say you have to check for some revision number on the board by a PCI slot or something, but I couldn't find it so I didn't update anything.

BTW, could the magnets in my z560 subwoofer be causing any problems? I believe the subwoofer is 20 inches away from the computer, however, i'm not exactly sure on the distance. The sub is under my desk and the computer is sitting on top. Can the magent erase any information possibly?

G

ok, thanks... but what kind of battery do I use?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by henryo11 on 05/07/02 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
They say you have to check for some revision number on the board by a PCI slot or something, but I couldn't find it so I didn't update anything
Don’t worry. In this case you just need to know if your motherboard is coming WITH or WITHOUT LAN.

BTW, could the magnets in my z560 subwoofer be causing any problems? I believe the subwoofer is 20 inches away from the computer, however, i'm not exactly sure on the distance. The sub is under my desk and the computer is sitting on top. Can the magent erase any information possibly?
Nope.

About the battery.
Just remove the battery and show it in any electronics shop.

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Battery is CR2032. Me too, in between 3 weeks, lost 3 times, but I take it out to measure, it showed 2.97v, I don't know how high this MB need is enough, anyway, I changed with another one, measure with 3.16v before I installed it, so far no more "forget" again, already one week, time will tell.
May be the battery brand is the key.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well the batteries that they include seem to be of poor quality, and loose their charge rather quickly. which is too bad...
but replacing it with something like a panasonic or duracell or something...that seems to alieviate the problems.
i think that the one that they include is KTE or something...
glad to hear that the "forgetting" problem has dissapeared for now.
hope it stays like that. :smile:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-