65nm XBox 360 Processor in 2007

glem_vital

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Hi all!

Has anyone read the recent Tom's Hardware Guide Article Xbox 360 to get 65 nm processor in 2007 yet?
Microsoft does change its strategy due to the PS3 (unlike their announcement...).
But what can this mean? There are already 2 versions of the 360 (Core & Premium) out there - so will there be 4 versions then (the actual versions plus each with a new & old CPU)? With a power consumption of the new 65nm CPU below the one of the actual 90nm version they would get rid of all the cooling problems, but what could it mean if the new CPU is also more powerful than the old one (Games for old CPU = Games for new CPU?)?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
All consoles get die shrinks over the course of their lifespan. X360 is no different. PS3 and Rev will get die shrinks as they get older. The cpu is not going to run on a different frequency or have any arcitechure changes. It will perform the same as the original 90nm procs, only with lower power consumption, and therefore lower thermal dissipation.

glem_vital

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I was just worried my 360 will already be outdated next year ;-P
So the "more powerful" comment doesnt really mean anything apparently...

Thx for the info!

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
None of them are on 65nm yet. Don't waste time waiting for it. You won't notice a difference, as already stated:

All consoles get die shrinks over the course of their lifespan. X360 is no different. PS3 and [Wii] will get die shrinks as they get older. The cpu is not going to run on a different frequency or have any arcitechure changes. It will perform the same as the original 90nm procs, only with lower power consumption, and therefore lower thermal dissipation.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Eh, it does, but then again, that's why the XBOX 360 is so loud. That's also a reason why Nyko has the tri cool fan attachment which does make a significant temperature change, as well as noise.

One thing to keep in mind. I left my original XBOX is a small compartment under my TV and had it run for days without issues. When I got my XBOX 360, I removed where my XBOX was (under the TV) and placed the XBOX 360 there. One day, my girlfriend played it for 4 hours straight. The next day, I got the ring of death (guessing due to excessive heat).

In other words, place the XBOX 360 in a well ventilated area.

The Nyko tri-cooler voids your xbox warranty and can cause the xbox 360 power supply to short out.

It's recommended to use a cooler that has its own power supply and does not attach to the xbox's power supply.

Eh, it does, but then again, that's why the XBOX 360 is so loud. That's also a reason why Nyko has the tri cool fan attachment which does make a significant temperature change, as well as noise.

One thing to keep in mind. I left my original XBOX is a small compartment under my TV and had it run for days without issues. When I got my XBOX 360, I removed where my XBOX was (under the TV) and placed the XBOX 360 there. One day, my girlfriend played it for 4 hours straight. The next day, I got the ring of death (guessing due to excessive heat).

In other words, place the XBOX 360 in a well ventilated area.

TRENDING THREADS