Abit BD7 Motherboard "CPU clock settings Unwork.."

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
We are building a computer with a P4 1.6, Abit BD7 MB, 256 DDR.

The board has an LED Post code display that runs through Hex numbers as the machine is posting. Normally you turn on the computer, this runs through all the Post Codes, then beeps and continues booting.

After the machine has sat for a few minutes, you turn on the power, and the LED will show a code (usually 50, but it can be anything) and won't run through any others. It just sits there. Hitting the restart button, or turning off the machine and turning it back on fixes it and the machine boots like normal, until the next time that you leave the machine off for a little while.

Also, the machine comes up with "CPU is Unworkable or has been changed. Please check CPU Softmenu." You Go into the Bios, the settings are fine, save and exit, reboot a few times and eventually it will come back. Usually after leaving the machine off for a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We have tried another identical MB, different Ram, a larger power supply, disconnecting all the CD-Roms, HD, and Floppy, and removing the Modem. Tested the Cmos battery, but we are using 2 MB's anyways, so I can't imagine the battery is out on both. I can only think that it is some quirk with these Abit BD7's that is doing it.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think the mb lost his bios settings because its battery is damage.
this could explains this weird things when you reboot your comp after a turned off comp period sufficiently long.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I wondered about that, but I tested the battery and it was ok, and then we put in another brand new Abit BD7 MB and it does the same thing.

The only thing that is the same from the old MB to the new was CPU and Video card, we have tried it without drives, and a different power supply.

Guess I can try a different Video card and see. I can't see it being the CPU if everything else works.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think this could be a usefull <A HREF="http://users.capu.net/~kwelch/pp/pics/emperors-family2.jpg" target="_new">link</A>.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
I have heard of other people in these forumns having a similar problem try searching the message board and see what you can find someone else might have allready found the answer to your problem so give that a try cause i have no idea and very bad punctuation

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think this could be a usefull <A HREF="http://users.capu.net/~kwelch/pp/pics/emperors-family2.jpg" target="_new">link</A>.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Well, we ordered yet another case and PS. Ordered another Motherboard that was a completely different brand and it still would lock-up the first time you hit the power, but work fine if you hit the reset button after, or turned it off and on again.

We ordered a new P4 chip and it has started every time perfectly. Replaced every single thing in there, and if the company says that it can't be the CPU, and that it must be something else, I am going to beat them with a big stick. Thanks all for your help :)