Domain change

jay

I need to join an XP pro machine to a new domain. The
new domain is in a trust with the existing one. I was
wondering if there's a utility to migrate the users
account settings from user.domain1 to user.domain2 in
documents and settings on the local machine. Thank you
for any help with this.

XP is a Workstation OS. A Domain controller is a Server OS. I suggest you
visit a Server newsgroup.

steve

"Jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to join an XP pro machine to a new domain. The
> new domain is in a trust with the existing one. I was
> wondering if there's a utility to migrate the users
> account settings from user.domain1 to user.domain2 in
> documents and settings on the local machine. Thank you
> for any help with this.

I'm talking about XP pro as a workstation joining a
domain. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any
utilities to transfer user settings after joining a
domain as it creates a new user profile.

Transferring User settings from a Server to a Workstation (XP or 2000) is
accomplished from the Server side of the network. It is called "Pushing out
Profiles". The people who know the most about doing so will be monitoring a
Server newsgroup, not a Workstation newsgroup.

steve

> I'm talking about XP pro as a workstation joining a
> domain. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any
> utilities to transfer user settings after joining a
> domain as it creates a new user profile.

David

Jay - I believe the Active Directory Migration Tool
(ADMT) will do what you are attempting. While this must
be done in conjunction with your Domain Controllers, this
is certainly a valid Workstation related question.

David Fusfeld
MCSE
Sr. Network Engineer
dfusfeld@exec-computer.com

I'm not talking about "pushing out profiles". When
someone logs onto an xp machine it creates a profile in
Documents and settings as a new user. When you change
workgroups or domain it creates a new user under
documents and setting "locally". It's not a server based
question. Thanks for your advice anyway.

David:
I did not say that his question was not a valid Workstation question. I
suggested that he visit a Server newsgroup -- his post is more likely to be
seen by a "MCSE Sr. Network Engineer" over there than it is on a "windows
xp new users" newsgroup.

steve

"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jay - I believe the Active Directory Migration Tool
> (ADMT) will do what you are attempting. While this must
> be done in conjunction with your Domain Controllers, this
> is certainly a valid Workstation related question.
>

> David Fusfeld
> MCSE
> Sr. Network Engineer
> dfusfeld@exec-computer.com