Raid 1 & usb2 newbie questions on new nv7-133raid

Raja

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
First I'm sorry if I should be asking each of these questions regarding this motherboard on the different subboards. I thought it seemed appropriate to post the sum total here, but if I am mistaken I offer my humblest apologies.

A little background. Right now I have an athlon 750 with an asus k7v motherboard. It was put together at a shop using mostly parts I bought elsewhere, so my new system will be the first I've put together from scratch.

The components for the new system are as follows. A Lian Li case (PC7, which I guess is the low cost version of the pc60 series), a 651 watt enermax power supply, 2 cas2 2700 256mb corsair memory modules. I plan on using the on-board sound and possibly re-using my old asus 6600 deluxe video card. And of course an abit n7v-133raid and 1.8 athlon xp. I also order a thermaltake 7 heatsink/fan.

I primarily use the system for multimedia and graphics(video editing, capture, and photoshop stuff), internet (web, irc, usenet), and work (word processing, etc). I'm not very much into gaming except an occasional marathon session of simcity, civ, age of empires, etc. Course I do reserve the right to be addicted in the future. =)

Now for the stupid questions...

Raid:

1) How much is raid 1 like raid 0 in how it affects the harddrive? For example does the mirroring directly affect or change the harddrive. By that I mean could I still retrieve the data off either of the mirrored harddrives on another computer (using a normal IDE connection)? Or would I have to connect it to a controller using raid 1, a highpoint controller card, or even the exact same make of motherboard?

2) I know stripes can go bad or get corrupted. Can the same thing happen to a "mirror"? Are there any risks involved (besides copying the blank drive to the data drive by mistake)?

3) I assume from reading my manual unlike raid 0 and 0+1, the data isn't destroyed when you initially create a raid 1 mirror?

4) I read raid 0+1 greatly increases cpu utilization. Is it enough (given the system I'm buying) that it'll greatly hit performance? I haven't read about anyone actually using this. Would it actually give me raid 0 performance with raid 1 protection? Are there downsides (besides price) which make this unpractical?

5) I understand you can't boot off a raid device. I plan on dual installing win98 and win2k (with win98 using picvideos mjpeg I can get almost-uncompressed quality full res captures without dropping frames on a regular ide drive). As long as my mbr is on a regular ide drive, can I install win2k in a raid (0,1, 0+1) partition?

5) Where would be a good place for me to research the subject? I've been checking the forums on storagereview.com but all the discussion along the lines I'm searching for tends to be centered around servers.

My case:

6) I have a Lian-Li case (which I initially intended to use for my current system). It comes with four usb ports in the front. I'd like to use them. Could I use them with the usb2 headers and get usb2 performance from a usb2 device? Or has either the actual ports you plug the device into or the wires connecting the ports to the headers on the motherboard changed too?

7) I don't plan on overclocking at all, but I am going to have along with the cpu (with the thermaltake), a cd-rom, a dvd drive, and up to 5 harddrives. Above and beyond what came with the case, will I probably require additional cooling?

Video question:

8) My current video card is an asus 6600 deluxe with sgram. It does the job I want it to do with video capturing, but nowhere near state of the art anymore. Given I don't play action games, will a video card with either more memory, faster memory, or even a faster video processing unit actually make a difference in the 2d applications I'll be using (ie photoshop, premiere, virtual dub, TMPGEnc, etc)?

Lastly since it's my first post.. thanks to all of you. I've learned a lot from your various discussions and arguments.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Raja on 05/09/02 00:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
no offence but ure question is just too long... :) cut it short so that i can read. :)

THE MAIN CAUSE FOR GLOBAL WARMING- MY KICK ASS ATHLON XP ;)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
1. raid 0 = 2 drives working side by side for double the speed. raid 1 = 1 drive works as a mirror image of the other.

2. risk of data corruption in raid 1 is alot lower, but can still happen if data corruption is happening elsewhere.i.e. the cable or the raid controller is crapped.

3. dont know what u mean

4. probably a slight performance hit, nothing that a fast cpu cant handle. downside of course is needing 4 drives! and finding room to keep them, extra noise, heat etc.

5. dunno

5. u have 2 points as 5. :smile: and dunno with this one as well.

6. dunno again

7. laian li cases are decent. a good cpu cooler, a decent rear casefan and two front casefans blowing over the drive enclosure should be heaps. just try not to sandwitch all the HDD's together.

8. proly very little. 2d speed with graphics cards plateaued a while ago. a beefier CPU will do much more.

9. Hamsters rule!

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrage councilling!