Voltage Probe - Dell OpenManage

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This is quite possibly the most aggressive warning message I've ever
seen from Dell. I should probably uninstall the Dell OM software, but
before I do I'll cross-post and make some calls.

Dell Precision
Windows XP SP2

Warning Event Notification:
"A voltage probe has exceeded a non-critical threshold. Contact your
Help Desk or Dell Technical Support for further assistance."

Although the error is "non-critical" the message returns within 60
seconds of closing. This computer is running the Dell OpenManage
Client Connector. It's an out of warrantee PC but still very useful;
I'd rather run without the Dell software then to see warnings that I
can't diagnose. What voltage probe? Any ideas?
11 answers Last reply
More about voltage probe dell openmanage
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I never understood how Precisions were classified. I used to call Dell
    Tech Support and go through the Server group, but then I'd be separated
    into a group that was strictly Precisions. The last few times I called
    I thought I went into a Desktop group, rather than a Precision group.
    If you want to call a Precision a "Server" then go ahead. I just think
    of the Precision as an advanced desktop.

    OpenManage is another story. They only provide OpenManage support for
    certain lines of computers including Precision. If that's all it
    takes, then call it a server.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Out of warranty Server rather than just a PC
    "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > This is quite possibly the most aggressive warning message I've ever
    > seen from Dell. I should probably uninstall the Dell OM software, but
    > before I do I'll cross-post and make some calls.
    >
    > Dell Precision
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > Warning Event Notification:
    > "A voltage probe has exceeded a non-critical threshold. Contact your
    > Help Desk or Dell Technical Support for further assistance."
    >
    > Although the error is "non-critical" the message returns within 60
    > seconds of closing. This computer is running the Dell OpenManage
    > Client Connector. It's an out of warrantee PC but still very useful;
    > I'd rather run without the Dell software then to see warnings that I
    > can't diagnose. What voltage probe? Any ideas?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I'm just suprised at running open manage on a precision workstation
    >I never understood how Precisions were classified. I used to call Dell
    > Tech Support and go through the Server group, but then I'd be separated
    > into a group that was strictly Precisions. The last few times I called
    > I thought I went into a Desktop group, rather than a Precision group.
    > If you want to call a Precision a "Server" then go ahead. I just think
    > of the Precision as an advanced desktop.
    >
    > OpenManage is another story. They only provide OpenManage support for
    > certain lines of computers including Precision. If that's all it
    > takes, then call it a server.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Am I the only one who runs OM client on Precisions? Why do they
    provide the software if we aren't supposed to use it?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    OM is capable of diagnosing the hardware and relaying messages.
    Unfortunately, on the Precision I mentioned above, the voltage message
    isn't useful. The dialog box is an annoyance. I don't know if the
    problem is in a power supply, mobo, or other hardware.

    Does anybody run OM on PowerEdge servers?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag
    > Am I the only one who runs OM client on Precisions? Why do they
    > provide the software if we aren't supposed to use it?

    What is this OM capable of? I already downloaded it, but haven't yet
    got into it..
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Am I on the wrong newsgroup? This thread is going nowhere.

    "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote:
    >Am I on the wrong newsgroup? This thread is going nowhere.

    And your point? Maybe no-one here has the same problem (or any kind
    of solution) because no-one has the same setup as you. Please apply
    for a refund for your consultation fee. Welcome to Usenet.

    > And your point? Maybe no-one here has the same problem (or any kind
    > of solution) because no-one has the same setup as you.

    Actually someone posted yesterday, unfortunately the post doesn't
    appear on this version of the thread. They had a PC with a similar
    problem, but critical. The PC would count down from 60 and shutdown.
    The admin removed OM software to eliminate the voltage message but the
    PC continued to shutdown. Since we don't see the post here, I guess
    the cross-posting was broken between the dell NG and the hardware NG.

    I also threw out a softball question, "Does anyone use OM on
    PowerEdge?" Hundreds of people could respond to that.

    >> And your point? Maybe no-one here has the same problem (or any kind
    >> of solution) because no-one has the same setup as you.
    >
    > Actually someone posted yesterday, unfortunately the post doesn't
    > appear on this version of the thread. They had a PC with a similar
    > problem, but critical. The PC would count down from 60 and shutdown.
    > The admin removed OM software to eliminate the voltage message but the
    > PC continued to shutdown. Since we don't see the post here, I guess
    > the cross-posting was broken between the dell NG and the hardware NG.
    >
    > I also threw out a softball question, "Does anyone use OM on
    > PowerEdge?" Hundreds of people could respond to that.

    Tom -

    You'd be far better off posting your question here:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=precision

    Have a look. You'll find someone over there who's seen what you're asking.
    This usenet group is largely about Dimension, Optiplex, Inspiron, and
    Latitude models.

    PW and PE questions, imo, are better off posted at the link above.

    Stew

    Thank you for the link. Yes, now that I look at the forums I agree
    that my questions should attract more responses over there.

    I wonder if MS forums thrive because the majority of their boards are
    open to Google Groups. I have to wonder why companies like Dell keep
    everything so close to the nest.

Dell Microsoft Computers