Your question
Closed

Corsair Launching Three Fast New SSDs

Last response: in News comments
February 2, 2010 10:50:58 PM

Give me some sandforce drives
Score
February 2, 2010 10:58:46 PM

I believe you have your read and write speeds reversed. Quote "and will supposedly feature a 128MB cache and read and write speeds of 200MB/s and 240MB/s, respectively."
Score
February 2, 2010 11:00:40 PM

Here's to hoping that more space and speed will lead to lower prices for the smaller capacity drives.
Score
February 2, 2010 11:13:52 PM

Ouch! Those drives are expensive!!!
Score
Anonymous
February 2, 2010 11:35:36 PM

10 TB for $100 and sold! Too bad we arent anywhere near that.
Score
February 2, 2010 11:58:34 PM

In 2004 I paid almost 300 for the original 37 gig raptor, 10,000 rpm.
Its 8.0ms seek time was the draw. It gave a system boost, but nothing like a ssd does for 105.00/boot drive.
Score
Anonymous
February 3, 2010 12:00:49 AM

Even the most power hungry users should laugh at these SSD prices. If you visit online tech stores (like newegg), we're told we are getting good deals or discount savings even when the things still cost $3 a gigabyte. It's all just become one big jerk-off session to see who's got the fastest boot time.

I understand the idea of quick program load times and, as graphic designer, having programs like the Adobe Suite instantly on when I need them. But you still have to ask yourself why? The money used for an SSD would be better used for productivity if you bought a faster processor. If your a gamer, the money could a go to better use countless ways, processor, video, or a high end cooling setup (liquid and etc.)

SSD's just don't make sense yet, and they won't until the prices fall consistently into the $2/gig range on the larger drives.

/rant
Score
February 3, 2010 12:06:26 AM

Very very nice, everything looks great when you are window shopping. However I'm just an average joe, can't really justify it yet but we are getting there damn it :D 
Score
February 3, 2010 12:48:24 AM

At those prices, just get the Intel that's out now and save some $$$.
Score
February 3, 2010 1:05:57 AM

It's ridiculous how much they still charge for SSD's,when they drop to 100-200 dollar range I might retire my 36Gb Raptor....other than that no thank you I can wait.
Score
February 3, 2010 1:42:30 AM

It is ridiculous how many cheap chumps keep commenting on price. It's new technology, what do you
want them to give them to you for free. If you can't afford the steak and lopster don't look at it, look
at the salid bar.

Score
February 3, 2010 2:15:30 AM

What the hell is a lopster? I personally have never eaten at a salid bar but I would assume it's some sort of hooker bar??
Score
February 3, 2010 2:18:42 AM

hakestermanIt is ridiculous how many cheap chumps keep commenting on price. It's new technology, what do youwant them to give them to you for free. If you can't afford the steak and lopster don't look at it, lookat the salid bar.

First, your spelling is terrible, so not many people are going to take your post seriously.

Second, SSD drive prices went up significantly since October. 256GB SSD drives used to generally cost between $599 and $680. Now they are $740 - $800+ for the same drives that were on the market back in October. .

Score
February 3, 2010 2:47:15 AM

I remember when I got my Corsair P128 (Sequential read 220mb/s, write 200mb/s) for $260. It's now $375. This was about a year ago.

I can't wait until after a year these new Corsair SSD's are released. I can then spend $115 more!
Score
February 3, 2010 2:54:21 AM

fonzyIt's ridiculous how much they still charge for SSD's,when they drop to 100-200 dollar range I might retire my 36Gb Raptor....other than that no thank you I can wait.

Just so you know the samsung f3's are slightly faster. I did that switch recently.
Score
February 3, 2010 3:41:59 AM

why pay for larger 3.5drives for a ludacris $1,400 when you can buy smaller and lighter SSd's that may be just a tad bit slower for basically $1,000 less? Does this make sense?
Score
February 3, 2010 4:06:25 AM

Buying a 512GB drive for $1700 makes baby Jesus cry :( 
Score
February 3, 2010 4:37:09 AM

I think I'll hold out a couple more years before investing in a SSD. With an average price fall of 40% anually per GB, it should be perfectly affordable by then.
Score
February 3, 2010 4:40:50 AM

hakestermanIt is ridiculous how many cheap chumps keep commenting on price. It's new technology, what do youwant them to give them to you for free. If you can't afford the steak and lopster don't look at it, lookat the salid bar.

Ok, even though several people had already responded to this, I still want add a few things. I'm not one of those who you consider "cheap chumps". I have a fairly decent gaming system, like many people on this website. I have a full time job and certainly can afford to buy even a $1700 SSD mentioned in this article, should I need one, without changing my lifestyle even temporarily, again like many people on this website. However, just because I have the resources to do so, does not mean that I'm going to buy something that does not feel like a good deal. No, I don't need them to give it away for free. But, likewise, I refuse to be taken to the cleaners just because it's new technology.
Score
February 3, 2010 5:04:47 AM

I, for one... would LOVE some lopster. A side salid would be nice, too.
Score
February 3, 2010 9:40:54 AM

Well all lopster and salid aside, the article itself is full of mistakes.
Bad english and wrong or incomplete information.
Don't you guys at Toms Hardware proof-read your articles?
Even at a glance you can see that something is wrong with the numbers.
Quote "The extra $10-$20 will buy and read speeds of up to 215MB/s and write speeds of 130MB/s on the 60GB model and 195MB/s on the 120GB model".
"will buy and read speeds"? or "195MB/s on the 120GB model"
Is 195MB/s write or read or is it buy and read...what do you mean?
Half of the speeds shown are in fact not faster at all.
Please try and be clear and precise boys. It's just not very professional the way it is.
Score
February 3, 2010 9:42:24 AM

To take the middle of the road here and avoid the lopster, repeated, "OMG too expensive"? How do these repeated personal purchasing choice rants further the article? Most reputable hardware sites are recommending SSDs as at least boot drives in higher end gaming systems. And vendors as well are providing then as options.

The slow boat today for most systems is the magnetic hard drive. The fastest CPU, RAM, and GPU cannot overcome their limitations as doen of those components can flex until the computer boots and your application loads into RAM.

If you try an SSD in everyday use you won't want to go back. I don't care what kind of conventional drive array you're using. A decent SSD is, noticably different and noted as the most significant means to improve overall system performance.

So yeah the fifth "OMG!, they are too expensive still!" We got it. You do think its a good deal. Fine.

I do. And whether I have a full time job or not, SSD's rock. Now pass the drawn butter.
Score
February 3, 2010 10:53:02 AM

So, I'm thinking that 'lopster' could become a meme or phrase.
Perhaps reffering to high-end/enthusiast level hardware.

That aside, I'm more interested in the end products from the new shrink, so I'll wait untill those products become available before considering the purchase of a SSD (lower prices, possibly higher perfomance).
Score
February 3, 2010 12:08:14 PM

I love my ssd for my OS. Of course I wouldn't even try and get one to where I actually had the space to install a lot of games on lol.
Score
February 3, 2010 12:16:20 PM

Their older P series are faster and there is a 256GB model. I bought one a few weeks ago, 220Read and 200Write and support TRIM
Score
February 3, 2010 1:28:19 PM

I guess the pricing in no surprize based on how much they charge for thier memory!
Score
February 3, 2010 1:58:06 PM

Marcus! To think that yesterday I posted a comment pointing out the streak of professionally written articles Tom's had lately. Oh well...
Score
February 3, 2010 2:37:29 PM

I paid 450 for a 160GB X25-M G2. I still think it was a good deal compared to Raptor pricing years ago. Maybe it's poor logic, but for me, the improvement being quite a bit over any Raptor for an OS drive, while remaining in the under $500 ballpark sold me. I have a 40GB X25-V on the way too, because it was so cheap (110) and will make a great laptop drive for years to come.

I see no reason to wait, other than price, and people are expecting pricing to come down to HDD levels and that will be an extremely long wait. Other than higher throughput, which I welcome (I'll be buying the Intel SATA6gb drives), the major performance improvement is already here
Score
February 3, 2010 2:48:00 PM

$3.32/Gb is not affordable in any stretch of the imagination...

As soon as that comes down to even $400, I may consider it... but even that's a stretch.
Score
February 3, 2010 3:27:38 PM

The prices are a bit high considering the OCZ Collosus has better transfer speeds and is sold at a smaller price.
Score
February 3, 2010 4:18:24 PM

$455? Sign me up for those specs.
Score
Anonymous
February 3, 2010 5:14:50 PM

F3's are not faster. The access time is slower. My ssd drives put F3's to shame.
Score
February 3, 2010 5:18:30 PM

yawn, i'm ready for SATA III SSD drives!
Score
February 3, 2010 8:26:29 PM

fonzyIt's ridiculous how much they still charge for SSD's,when they drop to 100-200 dollar range I might retire my 36Gb Raptor....other than that no thank you I can wait.

Dude, 36GB Raptor pre-dates NCQ. You would get a massive gain out of a generic 7200 rpm drive at this point, since that one is only going to push 30-60MB/sec.
Score
February 3, 2010 8:43:32 PM

mistredF3's are not faster. The access time is slower. My ssd drives put F3's to shame.

He was saying the F3 >> Raptor, and hes right.
Score
February 3, 2010 10:15:27 PM

Steak and Lopster don't cost $1700 ;) 
Score
Anonymous
February 4, 2010 3:23:02 PM

I think the speed is more than fast enough...
If they could focus now on small, low power, and low cost, then we'd be even more happy!
Score
!