New to XP(home). (Been using win98se for years.)

1. Everytime I restart system a screen opens with Norton. Can't find how to
stop.

2. Is there somewhere to go to see what programs "should/need" to open on
"normal startup".

3. What the programs are? IOW- a list of what programs are when viewing
msconfig/startup. Seems several more programs opening using xp vs 98se.

Most of these "extra" programs could be because our son gave us this system
and he didn't pay any attention to what he d/l-ran, etc.
Already found 2 virus' and trojans. Got rid of everything except Norton
keeps finding 4 files it can't/won't delete- Gatorstubsetup.exe, GMT.exe,
GMTProxy.dll and GUninstaller.exe.

Would like to get rid of gator, I think, but the uninstall won't work and
can't find in CP-add/remove.

Thanks,

L.

I am also new at this but may be able to help.

To remove Gator. you need the spybot search & Destroy.
Ad-aware, or SPYSWEEPER (webroot.com) use any search
engine and you should be able to find one of these
programs (they romove adware,spyware,malware and such)

As for norton there is an options button. open it and
select the first one you see(mine is systemworks then
Antivirus,ect) in each one of these options there are
different "startup" options deselect all of those you do
not want (keep the recommended)

to see a list of running services (and startup programs)
you can do the MSCONFIG command in "run"
use the second last tab for a big list of running serveses
(it will say if their esential too). its the tab that
wasn't in win98se.

you could also access this from i believe (controlpanel,
administrator settings, services) at least you can in
winxp Pro.
each has a description of what it does and im sure you can
find out more by doing a websearch or by using help
command.

I also used 98se for years but found XP to be the most
user friendly. plus there is so much more we can do.

goodluck, signed: modelingfrog

Check out www.blackviper.com for a complete list of start-up programs and information on the ones you can safely disable.