MB for P4 NW with 1066?

G

Am in the enviable position of being able to buy a computer on the company dime, and want to get the best machine that I can for right now. That means a P4 2.53 with a 533 FSB. There are several issues that I am concerned about, though. There is still no "official" support for 1066 RDRAM. There is no MB out yet with USB 2.0 support. And there is no MB with ATA/133 support. Argh!

I realize that while there is no official support for the 1066 RDRAM, it will work (supposedly) on the 850E. But would really like the ATA/133 and USB 2.0 support to complete the package. Heck, firewire wouldn't hurt, either :)

Does anyone know of boards coming out that will have some or most of these features in the near future? That corporate check is really burning a hole in my pocket, hehe.

G

Am I the only one here that is interested in this concept?

I like AMD as much as the next guy. In fact, I'm using one right now. It just seems we're on the very edge of having a system capable of blowing all previous ones out of the water...

No one?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
...and in a couple of months it will be low-end bargain processor. :tongue:

Seriously, that was a bit of an exaggeration but I'm sure in 6 months time, the 2.53GHz P4 will reach bargain levels. I personally wouldn't buy top of the line right now.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The 2.53 overclocks well, and you could get it to 2.8 or 2.7 without much effort (according to THG, anyways).

If you got the Cash, got for the 2.53. People are afraid to mention intel processors for two reasons (esp newbies).

1. They'll be associated with AMDMeltdown or
2. AMD is soo l33tz0rs!! 0nL\| N00bZ uz3z0rz Int3|z!! from the swarms of AMD fanboys around here.

lol =D

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

G

Think the 2.53 is def the way to go, at this moment. (who knows what the future brings?)

Seems the problem is finding PC1066 memory to go along with it. Can get some, but the modules are small, limiting total amt of memory. Would prefer a gig of memory, but may have to settle for half that.

Nice problem to have, I guess..

dangerpowers

Distinguished
May 9, 2002
If the company is spending and not your own wallet you should go for the NW 2.53B but what are you gonna do with all that power?

G

Will need to have a "top of the line" computer to display medical images, etc, from home. With a 4k allowance, can get quite a machine. Plan on using every dime :)

Although the allowance is for business use, the majority of the machine will be used for personal stuff. Gaming, conversion of avi's to mpg's to burn to vcd's, etc. One of the reasons I wanted the highest level computer possible that I can get for right now. Tired of waiting 6 hrs to convert one Farscape episode, hehe.

Am using an AMD 1.2 right now, and am envious of the graphics conversion capabilities of the new P4's, as well as the lack of heat problems. My machine is never off.

Now if I could just find a vendor with a gig of PC1066 4200 RIMM's....

HokieESM

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
I personally don't know of any board in the "near" future (read: this month) that's coming out... but you can bet there will be. The MB manufacturers are "certifying" these new boards, I'm sure... just give them a little time. Of course, of the two you mentioned (USB 2.0 and ATA133), only the USB 2.0 is of much use (the few ATA133 hard drives and peripherals haven't shown much improvement over ATA100). Sorry I couldn't be of much help there. <frown>

But I may be of help with the RAM issue. I use quite a bit in my work (my current machine has 1.5 GB of PC2100)... and I'm building a P4 with 1GB of PC800. If you ONLY want ONE GB, then just buy 4 sticks of 256MB Samsung PC800 (or someone who uses their memory chips)--it should easily run PC1066 speeds (I've done this on many occasions). But if you want expandibility, you'll have to go with two sticks of 512... and, unfortunately, a 512 is significantly more than two 256s (they've gotta screw us power users somehow!). Hope this helps!

G

Thanks, Hokie, that DOES help out. Quite a bit, in fact. Ass/u/me'd that ATA/13 would be a significant improvement over 100, but have since learned what you've stated. Not much improvement, and not many drives support it. Most appear to be waiting for serial ATA (which I *won't* wait for, hehe).

The Asus board that THG used for their review is actually out now, and does include USB 2.0 support. Was planning on getting my system from Alienware, all set up. They use an Intel 850EMV2. Spoke with a rep on the phone, and he said their systems do come with USB 2.0. Just remains to be seen wether their PC800 is Samsung (which I've read as being overclockable in my attempts at finding PC1066), and wether the 850EMV2 allows it to be overclocked.

If not, can always switch motherboards out myself. Wouldn't be the first time (or even fifth :))

Thanks for the guidance!

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
Same project myself on my dime. Asus p4t533-C recently announced is what Im waiting for. That and certified PC 1066 memory. I'm going to drive it with a 1.8a NW initially then migrate as the prices fall. You can downlosd the tech manual from Asus. The only glitch I've found is certification only with 128 meg sticks of PC 1066. The real problem is the memory ... I can't find any.

G

I feel your pain, Wes.

Have searched high and low, and there appears to be none available. The ONLY place I've even seen them (PC1066) is bundled with systems from Alienware. And even then, they're limited to 128 mb modules, limiting the total ram to 512.

Creates a dilemna. The Asus board has 6 USB 2.0 ports, if I recall correctly. The Intel board from Alienware is limited to two. Plus, I think the Asus board is easy to overclock the rdram only multiplier from 3 to 4. With High quality Samsung PC800 installed, viola, instant PC1066.

Haven't found anything to state wether the Intel board will allow overclocking of the RDRAM multiplier. In fact, I think I read that it's not (automatically done somehow :(

Decisions, decisions :)

TRENDING THREADS