new installation

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 13, 2004 6:41:04 PM

I am currently running windows 98 and want to move to XP. Do I need the upgrade or the full version. I noticed the full version package said for 95 or earlier but the rep said the full version was what I needed. Also, I run 2 separate PCs for business, do not use a server, and have no need for remote access (that I know of) so will XP Home or XP Pro be better?

More about : installation

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:03:56 PM

Upgrading will leave you your documents and setting like
favorits and desktop(but if you save them and with all
other thing important to you on CD you dont need to worry
about them right "BACKUPS")
With COMPLETE you are getting a whole new OS and you do
not have to worry about incompatible
drivers,software,ext. you can do a clean install from
CD. I did the upgrade myself the first time but found
that is was not worth the SPACE it took(plus I had to find
the VIDEO,SOUND,drivers from my missing cds, and I could
not use a bunch of games with the upgrade (all of those
issues are avoided with complete install) and XP comes
with compatibility stuff unlike Win2000 so all of those
dos games and things should continue to work. (anyways
why have two systems when you only need the one)

So I finaly did a complete install of WINDOWS XP PRO
I personally dont recommend the HOME only because there is
less security features (no file encription) anyways there
are MANY more features in pro.
do not get the XP UPGRADE cd (get the full cd) this way
you can do a "CLEAN INSTALL FROM CD" and not be REQUIRED

Hope this helps and let us know. signed modelingfrog
GOOD LUCK :)

April 13, 2004 9:38:29 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/default.a...
peter
"mow" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am currently running windows 98 and want to move to XP. Do I need the
upgrade or the full version. I noticed the full version package said for 95 or
earlier but the rep said the full version was what I needed. Also, I run 2
separate PCs for business, do not use a server, and have no need for remote
access (that I know of) so will XP Home or XP Pro be better?
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 11:53:09 PM

If you have the Win98 installation disk to serve as a previous qualifying
product, you can use the upgrade version and save a few bucks. Since you
aren't going to join a domain or anything, the Home version should suit your
needs. Be sure to run the upgrade advisor before installing WinXP to check
for hardware and software incompatibility issues. Usually it just involves
updating the drivers. And do a clean install so as not to transfer detrius
from Win98 and corrupt your new XP install. The sites below have
information of interest:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
http://winsupportcenter.com/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

!