Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Oblivion on a laptop?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 24, 2006 4:56:44 PM

Hi all, I have a dell inspiron 9100, p4 3.2, 2 gigs of ram and a radeon 9800 256Mb graphics card. My work has just given me a laptop to use so instead of having 2 laptops I am thinking of selling my dell and building an AMD gaming rig.

My question is relatively simple, I hear such amazing reviews of oblivion and was wondering whether it is worth buying it in the interim and playing it on my laptop? Ie will it run sufficiently well for me to enjoy the gameplay or is the technology required so much higher than the tech my laptop possesses that I will end up hating a game I hear to be amazing?

All opinions are appreciated so I know whether or not to bother, thanks in advance, :) 

More about : oblivion laptop

April 24, 2006 7:03:59 PM

Quote:
Ie will it run sufficiently well for me to enjoy the gameplay or is the technology required so much higher than the tech my laptop possesses that I will end up hating a game I hear to be amazing?


I don't see why not. It runs fine for me on a XP2600+ and a 9600XT. Your laptop is stronger than my computer, so you should be fine.

I should make the distinction that while it runs fine for me, it may not run fine by your standards. Expect to turn everything off (though I was still able to do 1000by760 resolution without a problem), and your framerate to hover between 14 and 26 FPS, with occasional dips below that.

It's a one-player game, so it doesn't matter a whole lot, and the game brings every system to its knees at one time or another, regardless of how snazzy the hardware.
April 24, 2006 10:10:05 PM

It all depends on what you would consider acceptable gameplay really. Will it run it? Yeah I think it will. Will it be laggy as hell even with all of your options turned down? Of course it will, you are trying to play on the bottom end of the scale. This game was designed to take advantage of all the latest technolagy and therefore is very high demanding on system resources. The biggest problem you are gonna have is traveling around in the outside enviorment when your pc has to render all the grass and trees and such. When you are inside a town or a cave you might experiance acceptable gameplay, due to the fact that rendering static walls instead of moving grass will free up alot of recources. I have completed the game already and in my opinion about 90% of it is played inside of city walls, or inside a dungeon, so this may not be a problem for you. My specs are at the botom of the page for my desktop pc and when I am in an outside enviorment in front of an oblivion gate with all the flames whipping around it and such, and while I am fighting, my frames still drop down to a hateful 22 fps. But I can't stand anything below 40, so like I origanally said, it all depends on what you consider "acceptable gameplay."
April 25, 2006 8:20:25 PM

Quote:
Hi all, I have a dell inspiron 9100, p4 3.2, 2 gigs of ram and a radeon 9800 256Mb graphics card. My work has just given me a laptop to use so instead of having 2 laptops I am thinking of selling my dell and building an AMD gaming rig.

My question is relatively simple, I hear such amazing reviews of oblivion and was wondering whether it is worth buying it in the interim and playing it on my laptop? Ie will it run sufficiently well for me to enjoy the gameplay or is the technology required so much higher than the tech my laptop possesses that I will end up hating a game I hear to be amazing?

All opinions are appreciated so I know whether or not to bother, thanks in advance, :) 

Well, it will be playable. The main problem you'll have, though, is that because it's a laptop, you'll have to play it at your native resolution, which will be too high for what you'd want with a graphics card like that. However, as a possible solution, you could try a "letterboxed" widescreen resolution, (Oblivion lets you do that) which will hence allow you to actually reduce the resolution without making the game look like crap from being scaled to fit an LCD.

Another thing you'll likely have to do is reduce some of the detail settings. But some of the most important, like the view distance, will likely be able to be kept where they should be, (maxed) and it will primarily be some scaling things you'll want to set down, such as reducing the grass distance and grass density.

With some tweaks like that, it's quite possible for you to be able to enjoy playing Oblivion on such a system.

Quote:
It all depends on what you would consider acceptable gameplay really. Will it run it? Yeah I think it will. Will it be laggy as hell even with all of your options turned down? Of course it will, you are trying to play on the bottom end of the scale. This game was designed to take advantage of all the latest technolagy and therefore is very high demanding on system resources. The biggest problem you are gonna have is traveling around in the outside enviorment when your pc has to render all the grass and trees and such. When you are inside a town or a cave you might experiance acceptable gameplay, due to the fact that rendering static walls instead of moving grass will free up alot of recources. I have completed the game already and in my opinion about 90% of it is played inside of city walls, or inside a dungeon, so this may not be a problem for you. My specs are at the botom of the page for my desktop pc and when I am in an outside enviorment in front of an oblivion gate with all the flames whipping around it and such, and while I am fighting, my frames still drop down to a hateful 22 fps. But I can't stand anything below 40, so like I origanally said, it all depends on what you consider "acceptable gameplay."

You consider the 9800 to be "the bottom end of the scale?" Rather curious; even if it is a plain Radeon 9800, rather than a 9800pro or 9800XT, it is still an 8-pipeline, SM 2.0 Radeon card with the full 256-bit memory interface. Technologically, it's quite a ways from the bottom, even for Oblivion.

Of course, keep in mind that there are so many ways to scale the game, so some may simply accept less; that, and that constant 60fps is never necessary, since this isn't Counter-Strike. (note: the Xbox 360 version is CAPPED at 30fps, as an illustration of this; it also on occasion dips below 30fps)

I'll also note that for some reason, the GeForce 6 and 7 cards just seem to have problems outside, in the forests. It's still the worst-performing part of the game even on Radeon cards, but the problem is noticably better.

Lastly, where one plays the game is entirely up to the gamer. Of course, if one finds one's framerates lacking when out in the wilderness, it would be not surprising to find the gamer playing more in areas where the framerate is smoother; It's possible to play a long time without entering a single dungeon. (aside from the imperial prisons, of course)
!