my drive letters are all mixed up

I have 4 drives. My primary HD (jumpered as SlavePresent)
with the systemFiles on it And the Slave for game and
docs. My Cdrom on secondary IDE with CDRW (set to
slave)

In Bios each drive is set correctly C: D: E:(CD)F:(cdrw)

when I had 98se each drive where set correctly in "MY
COMPUTER". but now my primary HD drive is F:\ my
Other Hd is C:\ and my CDROMS are D: and E:

is there a reason that my partitions are in a different
order then in Cmos/bios and how could I avoid this from
happening in future instals/upgrades?

I cant change drive letters because of the systemfiles

it Gets rather bothersome to need to change the path of
most of my programs and patches from C:\... to F:\

thanks in advanced. signed: modelingfrog
4 answers Last reply
More about drive letters mixed

    Go to run,type:diskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click a drive,action,all,select,change
    drive letter/path,change letter.This wont work on xp system drive but all others.

    USING XP PRO that is my problem. The CD rom drives are
    not a problem right its the system drive not being C:
    During the installation of XP it asked me where to install
    and I told it C:/ being the fastest and largest.
    but like I said now its F:

    anyways is there something that I did wrong? the bios is
    set to PLUG&PLAY OS when I did the install. and other
    then that the only thing I noticed was that WHEN i deleted
    the partition and recreated it. I had created the max
    allowed but I was left with unpartioned space. (8mb to be
    exact) I left it alone though. if you could again
    assist me it would be appreciated. THANKS signed
    MODELINGFROG

    Use Command Prompt/MS-DOS. Search google or yahoo, for commands and help with renaming harddrives.

    -CE

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:15:02 -0700, "modelingfrog"

    >I have 4 drives. My primary HD (jumpered as SlavePresent)
    >with the systemFiles on it And the Slave for game and
    >docs. My Cdrom on secondary IDE with CDRW (set to
    >slave)
    >
    >In Bios each drive is set correctly C: D: E:(CD)F:(cdrw)
    >
    >when I had 98se each drive where set correctly in "MY
    >COMPUTER". but now my primary HD drive is F:\ my
    >Other Hd is C:\ and my CDROMS are D: and E:
    >
    >is there a reason that my partitions are in a different
    >order then in Cmos/bios and how could I avoid this from
    >happening in future instals/upgrades?

    ==> It happens under the following senario; your first drive is
    ==> not partitioned, but your second drive is, when you start the
    ==> installation. This causes the installation program to assign
    ==> C: to the existing partition on the second drive.

    Windows XP Professional Setup

    The following list shows the existing partitions and
    unpartitioned space on this computer.

    Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

    To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

    To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

    To delete the selected partition, press D.

    ³3997 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    ³
    ³ Unpartitioned space 3997 MB
    ³
    ³3997 MB Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    ³
    ³ C: Partition1 (DISK2) [FAT32] 3993 MB ( 3977 MB
    free)
    ³ Unpartitioned space 4 MB

    ==> When you create a partition on the first drive, the installation
    ==> program assigns the next free drive letter (in this case only
    ==> one CD drive exists, so the new partition becomes E:)

    ³3997 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    ³
    ³ E: Partition1 [New (Raw)] 3993 MB ( 3992 MB
    free)
    ³ Unpartitioned space 4 MB
    ³
    ³3997 MB Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    ³
    ³ C: Partition1 (DISK2) [FAT32] 3993 MB ( 3977 MB
    free)
    ³ Unpartitioned space 4 MB

    ==> If you install on this newly created partition, Windows will
    ==> be on drive letter E: when installation is complete.
    ==> To prevent this, exit the installation program (F3 F3) and
    ==> restart it. This will allow the Windows XP installation program
    ==> to assign the drive letters in the expected order.

    Windows XP Professional Setup

    The following list shows the existing partitions and
    unpartitioned space on this computer.

    Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

    To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

    To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

    To delete the selected partition, press D.

    ³3997 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    ³
    ³ C: Partition1 [Unknown] 3993 MB ( 3992 MB
    free)
    ³ Unpartitioned space 4 MB
    ³
    ³3997 MB Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    ³
    ³ D: Partition1 (DISK2) [FAT32] 3993 MB ( 3977 MB
    free)
    ³ Unpartitioned space 4 MB

    >I cant change drive letters because of the systemfiles
    >
    >it Gets rather bothersome to need to change the path of
    >most of my programs and patches from C:\... to F:\
    >
    >thanks in advanced. signed: modelingfrog

HD Windows XP