G

I was wondering when the KT333A chipset will be available (if it is not already) and also is it advantagous to wait for the KT333A (assuming its not out now) as opposed to just breaking down and buying at KT333 board. I really like the idea of future expandability (i like my computers to go the distance) and the AGP 8x support on the KT333A is quite appealing.

Also, IF i were to break down and grab a KT333 Board now, I like the look of the Soyo Dragon boards, how are they compared to the MSI or Gigabyte boards? I see several threads pertaining to incompatability with certain sound cards, which is as bit disconerting.

Thanks in advance.

-Snickles

cxl6909

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
No problme with Gigabyte 7vrxp. Both of Gainward 4600 card and Sound Blaster Audigy card work perfectly. About MSI, I use nforce mb good enough for internet or documents stuff. However, those problem are only user errors but still some of errors are from mb which you will need to gather all information before building up your machine and also read the manul carefully to install hardware. The only problme is that I like to try new mb on amd xp cpu because I have never statisfied with current most newest mb or cpu. Still Intel and amd are very competitive to each other. As long as you got new machine which you already loss money cuz few monthes later, the new one will be out. However, its just personal opinions.

G

Ok, looks like i'm beating a dead horse, as past posts seem to claim that there will be no KT333A, but rather the KT400 will incorporate its features. So now i have a couple more questions:
When is the KT400 slated to come out?

and Is the Gigabyte 7VRXP board good? How does it compare with the Soyo Dragon using the KT333 chipset?

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
I do not have the Gigabyte, but that is the one i am keep ing my eye on. It just went down by 7 bucks since last week at newegg.com. I am just waiting for the thoroughbred to come out before I buy it! Personally I would avoid the soyos.

Having 8x agp sound sweet, I hope it comes out soon!

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

G

Well the Tom's Hardware gods have answered the latter question, but the former remains. Is there no word as of yet on the KT400?

cxl6909

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
At Tom's just review 18 VIA KT333 Motherboards Compared and also mention KT400 when it will be out of market. For those who want to get more information before building up your system, read it first.

However, I think I got the most effective and one of the best KT333 mb which is Gigabyte GA-7vrxp and I don't think I will upgrad it till next year new KT400.

Now, I think I will look up dual amd mpx mainboard. To be frankly, I have been studied several dual amdmpx mb for a while and still haven't make any decision of it. Gigabyte got nice one but their bios doesnt look good to me and also not support winxp as well. Others, like Asus, Abit, Iwill , Epox are lacking some components. The final one is MSI which seems more caught my eyes on. Again, I am hesitating gigabyte or msi mb. sigh...oops out of our subject....:)

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
The Gigabyte doesn't support Win xp? How can that be? Are u serious?

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

cxl6909

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
sorry my previous msg disleading.
Dual Server Amd board from Gigabyte is GA-7DPXDW-C and GA-7DPXDW (Raid including). Gigabyte only provides DRIVER "winNT/win2k/winMe" for both server board not for winxp. So if I want to use winxp os on them which will have some problems. Despite of that, there is no utility for them (according from GA server board web site, mark as "coming soon").

For those reasons, the alternate way is to choose other instead GA but GA got raid for GA-7DPXDW server borad while others only got 2 IDE channel.

That's the informaiton what I have for GA.

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
don't bother with the ga. the asus, tyan, and msi boards all have usb 2 pci cards that come with them. further, on board software raid support is terrible, and you'd be better off getting one fast ide drive, like the western digital wd1200jb. check <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491" target="_new">here</A> for a good article about RAID arrays.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>