Sign in with
Your question

Compressing HDD volumes

Last response: in Windows 7
August 10, 2010 11:59:56 PM

The below image is the partition management screen on my new Asus G73JH-A1 laptop. As you can see it has 2 hdd's, but for some reason they split them up into multiple volumes. Any reason why I shouldn't just combine Sdata1 with Sdata 2 to make the hdd a single partion, and then combine OS with Data to make that hdd a single partition as well. and what about that unnamed volume?
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 12:21:32 AM

I don't see any reason why not...
the only thing i can think of that those volumes would be, is a backup partition (which you would see in 'My Computer', or preinstalled image of some Office software)
Whenever i get a pre-built computer from a company, the first thing i do is wipe everything (making sure that there isn't some important pre-installed software that i payed extra for), and starting fresh w/o all the bloatware that companies today add.
m
l
August 11, 2010 1:53:28 AM

Well according to the information in the pic all of those volumes are completely empty exempt for the OS one of course.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 1:55:19 AM

you shouldn't have any problem combining them, but i wouldn't do it with the OS drive
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 6:28:38 AM

BradyT88 said:
Well according to the information in the pic all of those volumes are completely empty exempt for the OS one of course.

Don't trust the free space info for a volume that shows no file system (i.e. the first partition on the first disk). Quite possibly that is some sort of recovery volume with a custom format.
m
l
August 11, 2010 3:27:50 PM

BradyT88 said:
The below image is the partition management screen on my new Asus G73JH-A1 laptop. As you can see it has 2 hdd's, but for some reason they split them up into multiple volumes. Any reason why I shouldn't just combine Sdata1 with Sdata 2 to make the hdd a single partion, and then combine OS with Data to make that hdd a single partition as well. and what about that unnamed volume?
http://a.imageshack.us/img834/7853/diskmanagement.png

Almost ALL computer vendors hese days include a hidden partition on the HDD that contains an OS image file, (so that you can restore the OS if necessary).

The question you're asking should be asked of your hardware vendor, so that you don't risk overwriting/damaging/deleting that hidden partition. Unless you opted to purchase an operating system DVD with your laptop, it's the safe (and smart) thing to do.
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:41:26 AM

I used the recovery disk that I purchased extra to do a clean wipe and it gave me the option of whether I wanted the hdd split into 2 volumes or left in 1. I chose the 1. It was nice because it got rid of all the extra crap that came with the OS, but kept all of the drivers and necessary programs, like power4gear and such. Then I just deleted both volumes on the 2nd hdd and made a new one that used the whole hdd. The 20GB partition is still there but whatever, it's only 20GB.
m
l
!