windows xp home edition in new computer migrating to windo..

A brand new Dell 2400 computer came with windows xp home edition. I have a
windows xp professional cd. How do I go about migrating from home to
professional? Do I simply insert the Cd and attempt to install professional
on top of home? thank you
1 answer Last reply
More about windows home edition computer migrating windo

    If you perform the upgrade procedure correctly, then your
    files and programs should remain intact. However, it would
    be prudent to perform a backup of your important files just in
    case you encounter a revelation of "Murphy's Law".

    1. First, you need a "Retail Upgrade or Full Version" of Windows XP Pro.
    2. Uninstall any third-party antivirus or firewall programs.
    3. Disconnect all peripheral hardware devices, but not the monitor, keyboard or mouse.
    4. While at your XP Home desktop screen, insert the XP Pro CD in the CD drive.
    5. Select the default "Upgrade" option.... DO NOT SELECT "New Installation".
    6. Defrag your drive after upgrading.
    7. Reinstall your antivirus program & turn-on the firewall.
    8. Visit the Windows Update website and download the necessary updates.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "L. T. Portella" <portella@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message:

    |A brand new Dell 2400 computer came with windows xp home edition. I have a
    | windows xp professional cd. How do I go about migrating from home to
    | professional? Do I simply insert the Cd and attempt to install professional
    | on top of home? thank you

Computers CD-Rom Windows XP