EPOX 8KHA+ Help me Obi One

axeman44004

Distinguished
May 9, 2002
Help!!
I have an Epox 8kha+ with an AMD 1900+, 512 MB DDR, 300W power supply, Geforce 4 ti4400, and soundblaster audigy platinum, all running on windows XP Pro. All my drivers and BIOS are all up to date. The weird thing is, if the computer has no activity for, let's say 15 minutes, it locks up. All my power options are disabled. If I'm tasking, it's fine. Also, When I play Jedi Outcast II or Star trek Bride Commander, it locks up sometimes along with a ear peircing screech. I think these are compatibility problems.....Help me Obi One..you're my only hope....

Raist999

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
When you say the power options are disabled, are you talking both Windows and BIOS? Are the temps ok on your MB? Is your PSU a name brand or a generic? 300W may not be enough for the rig, the geforce cards use a lot of juice when they are running.

axeman44004

Distinguished
May 9, 2002
I believe the power supply is generic. The motherboard temp is around 75f. The CPU temp is around 115-123f. I disabled the power settings in both windows and the BIOS.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
sounds like you need a better power supply to me. Even if there are other problems with your system, the PSU could cause other problems. What drives do you have? Have you got case fans - how many etc

try to stick to 'good' brands. You could do with a higher wattage. like at least 350W, but 400W wouldnt hurt. Enermax 350W psu's dont seem to power the 8KHA+ very well on the 5V line so maybe avoid that one.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?</font color=blue>

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
As it locks-up with a screech seems to indicate a possible conflict in the audio and graphic system. I doubt power supply problems. Try reseating all your bus cards and do a temp check. Was the XP Win Pro a clean install? Goodluck

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Sorry to be off topic, but this game, of which you speak, Star Trek BRIDE commander... :wink: sounds kinda fun :smile:
but seriously...
sounds like you need to change PCI slots for your sound card...
sometimes VIA chipsets do that.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-