Icons at Root Level in C Drive

April 14, 2004 10:08:32 PM

I discoverered at the root level a collection of numerous icons, with titles
like C:\http___www_bluechillies_com_favicon_ico.ico, and the corresponding
bitmap, apparently from internet sites I have visited. Does anyone know what
function, if any, they serve, or how or why they got there?

srdiamond

More about : icons root level drive

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:30:14 AM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:08:32 GMT, srdiamond wrote:

> I discoverered at the root level a collection of numerous icons, with titles
> like C:\http___www_bluechillies_com_favicon_ico.ico, and the corresponding
> bitmap, apparently from internet sites I have visited. Does anyone know what
> function, if any, they serve, or how or why they got there?

Is someone using a "favicon" program on the system? Or moving the files
there manually? When you visit websites that give you a special icon,
that's a favicon. Any shortcuts for the site will use that icon as long as
the image remains in the browser's cache. When the browser cache is
cleared, the icon reverts to the standard blue "e" icon.

Favicon programs take the favicon files out of the Temporary Internet Files
folder and place them into another folder. This way the "pretty" icons will
remain since they won't be cleared out of the TIF.

Either someone has configured the favicon program incorrectly and it's
dumping the files into C: or someone has manually moved the file there.
Suggestion: Create a folder for these icons and move any you want to keep
to that location. Reconfigure the favicon program to use that new folder
(or inform the person moving the files) instead of dripping them into the
root of C:

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Sharon,

This is a bit strange, in that I am the sole user of this computer; I'm not
on a network; and I never intentionally used a favicon program. The icons
being of no use to me, despite their prettiness, I unceremoniously sent them
to the bin--145 of them. Thanks for the information.

srdiamond