Like I SAID, KT333=Useless excuse for upgrade!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So, I've been telling you all along that there was no good reason to wait or pay extra for the KT333 over the existing KT266. Benchmarks PROVE it, the KT333 is what, 1% faster than the KT266A? And that's using more expensive DDR333! Like I've said, the only advantage of running the memory faster than the FSB is that the real time CAS latency is slightly reduced.

OK, some of you complain that the test was not used with the FSB at 166MHz. Well I got MORE news for you! Overclockable boards have existed all along that will allow you to hit 166MHz FSB with a 1:1 CPU:RAM ratio, KT333 changes NOTHING there, because ANY use of a 166MHz FSB is overclocking!

Which leaves us with the obvious conclusion, KT333 has no real advantage over KT266A.

And both the Iwill XP333 and Leadtek 7350KDA will offer similar performance, for less money, with greater stability and compatability. Least we forget (as so many VIA jackasses do) how this company has screwed it's end users for so many years.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You're all wrong. Everything you wrote is wrong. Wrong wrong wrong! How's that for a futile argument?

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, futile arguement...
"But that is the newest chipset from VIA. it HAS to be faster. i mean, look at the jump from kt266 to kt266a!!!!!
the difference is AMAZING! how can you dispute the fact that the KT333 will blow the competition out of the water! there is NO QUESTION! and all you SIS and ALI lovin fools out there, TAKE YOUR HEAD OUT OF THAT DARK HOLE! SEE THE LIGHT! GO VIA! VIA's chipsets SMOKE the others....just do a search on google for a review of the kt333....there is no way that you would be able to argue against it....NO WAY.
and crashman....i dont know why you are so anti VIA...they have been so good...my system is so fast, it is almost telepathic!"
heheheheehehehe :smile:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Upgrading from a KT266A to a KT333 based board makes little sense. Paying much more for a KT333 than a KT266A doesn't make much sense either.

I have to agree with John about Via based chipsets in general. I think Via got a bad rap for releasing some crummy chipsets in the past. Do you stay away from them out of spite because you've been burned in the past? Maybe, but I think you have to keep an open mind when it comes to these things. Would you not buy a 2002 Thunderbird because in 1959 Ford produced the Edsel?

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you are being sarcastic too, right?
the performance gap between the kt266a and the kt333 isnt much...and not worth it.
i havent been buying via motherboards at first because i got burned...but then because of the fact that when a chip came out that could give them some competition, they kind of muscled it out of the way...(the sis735). more motherboard manufacturers were considering boards, but VIA thretened prices increases and lack of supply, and since VIA sells so much, they didnt want to risk it...so i think that you need to blame the motherboard manufacturers for not having an open mind.
imagine how many 735s there would be out there if MSI, ASUS, ABIT, GIGABYTE, and anyone else made a 735 chipset...or if all of them made them?
it would be insane!
people complain about the ECS boards, but the reason they have problems is due to poor quality control...but companies like msi and the likes have higher standards...
SO, i dont think that people who dont like via are the ones who need to have open minds...(although there is a limit to the ammount of hatred...because they do help move technology onwards...)
and if you couldnt tell, my last post was sarcastic...but i think you might know that already black_cat.... :wink:
*END VENT*

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, Hey, I get it, it HAS to be FASTER because it has the number "333" in the model name, and we know that higher number means more speed! After all, the 280Z REALLY WAS 10x faster than the Z28, no?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I am not one to keep up with all the details, but the KT333 is faster. Does it justify the extra money, to each his own. From just doing a little reading, it looks like the KT333 offers more. I believe KT333A will follow, allowing support for AGP 8X cards. Will that help, will it hurt? There are more details then I care to keep up with and comment about. My point is simple though, every little bit helps and their heading in the right direction. It is safe to say that computers are going to become much faster, either they be big step or small steps. Builders may not justify the step, but I am sure retailers will.

And last I new the Iwill XP333 was raising all kinds of [peep] here with the problems they were having. They may have set a record for the most returned mobo. I still have my RMA Iwill XP333 in a box. Is it safe to get it out? I haven't check for updates, because I wasn't impress with the board. If it is more stable then a VIA, I would think the BIOS had something to do with it, where the VIA seems to have twice as many tweaks. At least with my Abit boards. Maybe if the BIOS was tone down it would be as stable as Ali. Also, for stability the OS plays apart. Where everybody would agree that Win98 is not the most stability. I think if someone really pushes their computer, and updates it all the time, it's bound to crash. Every little bit helps to be more stably, but crash proof I doubt.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you are talking about problems with the early IWILLS right?

jiffy....
every little bit might help, but it doesnt REALLY justify buying a whole new motherboard...or does it?!?!
in my mind...no....
as for stability....sure, the OS does play a part...but when it is first installed, it should work fine...no problems....UNLESS you have weird, incompatible, or shady components. THAT plays a BIG part in instability. and then tweaking it...that even furthers the instability.

as for there being more tweaks for the VIA chipsets then there being for the ALI or SIS, maybe that is because the ALI and SIS are made for reliability, and even though there is a possibility for tweaks...i dont think that there are enough people who have them for there to be tweaks.
and a lot of times, people go with VIA because they bench higher...(sometimes). but a lot of times, those people are restarting their computers a lot, because of instability...what a sacrifice for speed... :eek:

-DAvid

<sarcasm>
You want an arguement! Well you got one you son of a bitch! <kidding> ... I would argue with you but there is a slight problem. The problems is that i actually agree with you. So; therefore, not much to argue about.

The KT333A would be something to look for with it's 533MB/s PCI bus bandwidth is sure to increase performance by 1% again and cost 33% more then the previous chipset for sure! Something to be excited about eh! Nothing like a good performance/price ratio from VIA! ;)
<end sarcasm? i'm always sarcastic!>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

i think i know someone who's inlove with VIA!

Dear HonestJhon;

*smooch smooch*

Much Love,
VIA

Awww ain't that sweet!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
are you saying there really isn't a point for shelling out some extra dough for a kt333 over a kt266a on account that it's barely faster?

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

I say as long as your current hardware does the job that it's suppose to do why are you upgrading to obsolete hardware?

Hammer is right-around the corner and you wanna upgrade to something that is already obsolete?

I say wait until you see reviews for the hammer and save your money so you can buy the Hammer, new RAM, and new motherboard. OR, save your money for the sweet graphic cards coming out! I'm talking stuff that'll blow the geforce 4 in the water. well in theory and on paper anyway. We shall see ... but i'm waiting i don't dare buy anything now. Unless it's a hard drive or CRT monitor. Even printers are good. scanners i'd wait. so ya ... but thats only my opinion.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
>Every little bit might help, but it doesn't REALLY justify buying a whole new motherboard...or does it?!?!<

At the moment I have a KT133A board, if I didn't already have 2400 DDR CAS 2 memory, I would get the KT333 or wait for KT333A, and maybe even wait for a card that supports 8X ;) I am just saying the KT333 looks good, and better things are sure to follow. Depending what chip someone already has would justify upgrading to the KT333 or not. Since I already have the 2400 Ram, I might save a few bucks and go with the KT266A. And upgrade later when things mature.

>as for stability....sure, the OS does play a part...but when it is first installed, it should work fine...no problems....UNLESS you have weird, incompatible, or shady components. THAT plays a BIG part in instability. and then tweaking it...that even furthers the instability.

as for there being more tweaks for the VIA chipsets then there being for the ALI or SIS, maybe that is because the ALI and SIS are made for reliability, and even though there is a possibility for tweaks...i dont think that there are enough people who have them for there to be tweaks.
and a lot of times, people go with VIA because they bench higher...(sometimes). but a lot of times, those people are restarting their computers a lot, because of instability...what a sacrifice for speed<

I don't know how to respond with out sounding like the VIA Police. Your not the only one that feels that way. But I see reports where VIA is the best thing for AMD, and these reports clam stability, ect ect. I'm sure your aware of that, also the fact how huge and popular VIA is. I'm not sure what the older VIA chips bugs were, weren't they something to do with transferring information, and using a burner, maybe a problem with Live cards, and a little hoggy. Didn't the future chips like KT266A take care of a lot of those problems? Also aren't the updated 4-1 drivers supposed to fix any problems. What are your reason for saying VIA is unstable? Do you know of any problems with the KT266A, or KT333, and if so did any drivers correct this. Again I am not the VIA Police, but just saying one is better over another doesn't say a hole lot.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i am not in any way involved with VIA...
in fact the last VIA board i bought, or told anyone to buy was a socket7 motherboard... :eek: ...and that turned out to be a bad idea.

SOOO...either you were being sarcastic, or really think i am in bed with VIA...i dunno...

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Hmm...well, i am aware that there are reports about VIA being stable and whatnot. that is what made me think that buying my old MVP3 motherboard was going to be good. because i had read some things about it being good.
that turned out to be a bad assumption.
and the 4in1's were supposed to have fixes for what was happening on my computer...BUT NO DICE!
im sure the problem was fixed (i hope to god) with later chipsets, but i havent personally tested them, so i cant say either way. i am saying that ALI and SIS arent making chipsets that claim "FASTEST BENCHMARKS" and whatnot. there just seems to be less problems with ALI and SIS chips...
as for VIA being so popular...that is because for a long time, there was nothing but VIA and AMD chips for AMD processors...
the AMD chips were nothing to wish for, and the VIA chips were fast. SO, everyone got VIA. (not literally everyone).
and then when there was an option, VIA decided to play "Nazi" and kick the competition to the curb, and not even give them a chance to compete by threatening price increases and lack of supply. motherboard manufacturers wussed out and stuck with VIA, even though there were decent options...
it is really sad that there arent more options for ALI and SIS motherboards...considering that those chip manufacturers are on the rise. hopefully we will see some increases as people realize that there are options!

and as for you upgrading to kt266a, if you really want performance NOW, go ahead. that would be a worthwhile upgrade for you i suppose. personally, i would wait until newer stuff comes out, and you can do a REAL upgrade.
i think that is the whole point...there is no reason to upgrade RIGHT NOW. because if you do, then you will be "wasting" money. and will be wanting to upgrade again in the near future.
the next wave of processors and chipsets is on its way, and i would hate to be stuck behind because i decided to upgrade now.

the only things i would upgrade would be keyboard mouse, monitor, speakers, PSU, hard drive, cdroms. other than that, newer stuff is on its way...and if i save money for the newer stuff, i will most likely be happier when the new stuff is released.
but that is just me...my own opinion. and opinions are like belly buttons, everyone's got one.

-DAvid