very slow computer

April 14, 2004 6:19:42 PM

Hi,
I just had a new hard drive put in my computer and now it
seems like everything is running slower, I have cleaned
everything up in the tools and options, deleeted temp
files and the whole bit, I defrag my system everyday, and
do updates to my anti virus daily and have been to the
control panel to free up disk space there, could someone
please tell me what else I need to do here? also have the
tweak UI for xp. So don't know what else to do. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bonnie

More about : slow computer

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 11:26:08 PM

Is it just your internet explorer that is slow or is it all programs?? Could it be spyware?? Could too many programs starting when windows starts up?? Bad sectors on the new hard drive???so many things it could be.. Is it locking up at all???
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:21:25 AM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:19:42 -0700, Bonnie wrote:

> Hi,
> I just had a new hard drive put in my computer and now it
> seems like everything is running slower, I have cleaned
> everything up in the tools and options, deleeted temp
> files and the whole bit, I defrag my system everyday, and
> do updates to my anti virus daily and have been to the
> control panel to free up disk space there, could someone
> please tell me what else I need to do here? also have the
> tweak UI for xp. So don't know what else to do. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> Bonnie

Check you startup group : Start> Run> MSCONFIG. Remove the checks next to
items that you don't absolutely need. Restart. See if performance improves.

If it does, go back to MSCONFIG. Make a note of the programs that you
eliminated. Then open the main programs and change their startup settings.
For those programs that you can't find startup settings for, just leave
them unchecked in MSCONFIG.

Also, it sounds like you're okay with your antivirus protection. May want
to give the system a going over with something like AdAware
(www.lavasoftusa.com). Download the program. Install it. Run the update and
then let it look for adware and spyware. You can let the program remove the
things it finds.

NOTE: Some free software installs additional adware. Removing the adware
may cause the program not to run. If that happens, you'll have to make a
choice: keep the program and the adware. Or look for a replacement program
that is adware and spyware free.

AdAware makes backups of everything it removes. If for some reason you want
to reverse the changes it made, you can.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Bonnie,

Are you running the new hard drive as your new system drive (meaning you
copied over the system from the original drive)? If you just hooked it as a
slave for storage, check that the jumpers are set correctly.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bonnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just had a new hard drive put in my computer and now it
> seems like everything is running slower, I have cleaned
> everything up in the tools and options, deleeted temp
> files and the whole bit, I defrag my system everyday, and
> do updates to my anti virus daily and have been to the
> control panel to free up disk space there, could someone
> please tell me what else I need to do here? also have the
> tweak UI for xp. So don't know what else to do. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> Bonnie
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:30:04 PM

Bonnie

How about some details concerning your computer.

What processor speed? What RAM memory? How large is your hard disk and how much free space?

Was Windows XP originally installed on the computer from new? What is loading at Start Up?

Downloading Adaware and / or update Reference file from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
gcjc@yesit.co.uk
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bonnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ca8701c42266$33abc440$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I just had a new hard drive put in my computer and now it
> seems like everything is running slower, I have cleaned
> everything up in the tools and options, deleeted temp
> files and the whole bit, I defrag my system everyday, and
> do updates to my anti virus daily and have been to the
> control panel to free up disk space there, could someone
> please tell me what else I need to do here? also have the
> tweak UI for xp. So don't know what else to do. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> Bonnie
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 2:26:50 PM

And, are the disk speeds the same? Replacing a 7200 rpm with a 5200 rpm (or
whatever the right speeds are) would cause a noticeable slowdown, esp when
the page file is needed very often. Answers to the questions below would
help them pin down your problem. I couldn't tell whether you ADDED a drive,
or replaced a drive.
Pop

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Bonnie

How about some details concerning your computer.

What processor speed? What RAM memory? How large is your hard disk and how
much free space?

Was Windows XP originally installed on the computer from new? What is

Downloading Adaware and / or update Reference file from
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
gcjc@yesit.co.uk
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bonnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just had a new hard drive put in my computer and now it
> seems like everything is running slower, I have cleaned
> everything up in the tools and options, deleeted temp
> files and the whole bit, I defrag my system everyday, and
> do updates to my anti virus daily and have been to the
> control panel to free up disk space there, could someone
> please tell me what else I need to do here? also have the
> tweak UI for xp. So don't know what else to do. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> Bonnie
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 5:51:02 AM

Pop

Your point about hard drives is taken. On my own machine I changed the second (slave) drive for a new larger drive earlier this week. The original ( master ) drive supplied in Sept 2000 is 5,400 RPM and the new slave bought this week is 7,200 RPM. Just shows how things progress!

~~~~~~

Regards.

Gerry

FCA