I want to replace Windows ME with XP. I will start with new XP Software, and not use the upgrade version. Before I start, what is the best way to initialize the hard drive? I have thought about formatting the disk. It has been suggested that I use a low-level program to better clean the hard drive. Are there suggestions in the XP software package?

I would appreciate your suggestions.

peter

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
you can format the HD during the XP installation.
peter
"REDELUR" <robert_de_luryea@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I want to replace Windows ME with XP. I will start with new XP Software, and
not use the upgrade version. Before I start, what is the best way to initialize
the hard drive? I have thought about formatting the disk. It has been
suggested that I use a low-level program to better clean the hard drive. Are
there suggestions in the XP software package?

> I would appreciate your suggestions.

"REDELUR" <robert_de_luryea@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I want to replace Windows ME with XP. I will start with new XP
> Software, and not use the upgrade version. Before I start, what is
> the best way to initialize the hard drive? I have thought about
> formatting the disk. It has been suggested that I use a low-level
> program to better clean the hard drive. Are there suggestions in the
> XP software package?
>
> I would appreciate your suggestions.

You can do a fresh (clean) install with the upgrade version as long as you
have your WinMe CD to put in when it asks.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi,

There is no need to "low level" format, just use the WinXP setup's format
function. You can also convert to NTFS as this point as well. Just delete
the existing partition and create a new one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"REDELUR" <robert_de_luryea@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I want to replace Windows ME with XP. I will start with new XP Software,
>and not use the upgrade version. Before I start, what is the best way to
>initialize the hard drive? I have thought about formatting the disk. It
>has been suggested that I use a low-level program to better clean the hard
>drive. Are there suggestions in the XP software package?
>
> I would appreciate your suggestions.

Greetings --

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Bruce Chambers