motherboard recommendations

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
hi all!
id like some of your views on motherboards.
i have always had an abit motherboard in any of my pc's that i have built. but resently, i have been thinking about what abit have releast, ax7 is it?
its taking away things that id use, like for example pararel/ serial ports and instead they are using usb. great, but i hate usb.
the great things about abits boards i feel are the softmenu which i feel totally at ease in using, i have no worries about getting a jumper in the wrong place or blowing something up, because its all safe guarded if you like...
im trying to build something that will be cheap, but fast and i will be using AMD as i feel that they are the best CPUs out that, regardless of price. intels have great memory bandwidth, but clock for clock, the AMD's, in my eyes, (opinion here, nothing more!!) are the best cpus about.
i would like to wait for DDR400, but im inpateint and i dont think i can wait that long, so a DDR333 board is for me.
abit have the kr7 which i believe is probably the best of abits boards. but i would like to ask the public on what they think, what they have used and what that they think is the best board out there...
im not sure about setting up a poll or anything, but could someone do that for me and put say, their top 5 or 6 makes of motherboard down and let everyone cast there vote?
id like to see what people would recommend, i like opinions and all, but i also like to hear what other people have to say about other things, so im not so limited as to what i would or could use.
if anyone reads this, id just be using it mainly for up to date gaming, the odd bit of video encoding, mp3 encoding, word, email, internet.. although i think that my k6 2 @ 450 will be able to manage a 56k modem... so i think that a 1.53ghz xp should be able to manage as well :)
well, thanks for all the people out there that might read this, and another thanks to the people that put out there opinions as well...
thanks muchly guys and gals
phill

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A DDR333 board for what reason? You'll get 1% more performance for 20% more cost, at stock speeds. And if you were thinking you wanted it for overclocking the FSB to 166, I got more news, last years boards could do that. If you want a nice board with onboard RAID, good onboard sound, and nice overclocking features, I suggest the Iwill XP333-R.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
ive always stuck with abit... no ideas why just have. had no problems for overclocking the boards because of the execellent softmenu...
how and what would i have to change to get to a decent amount of speed out of the hardware that i have at the minute?
heres a link to the amantech site with the system specs...

http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250

could you give me any recommendations please?
i do want another cpu, be it the XP or the new t-bred cpu thats coming out...just depends on when they bring it out and if i have the money by then!!
is there anything else that i could upgrade to make the computer faster? would it be worth buying a newer system or just building it around what i have already? please recommend me things!! i like to see what other people say about it because it opens my mind up to things that i perhaps normally wouldnt think of!!
cheers guys and gals!! until next time

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
what CPU might you recommend then?
im not sure if the motherboard support 166 fsb, as i believe that it doesnt really like it over 139Mhz, or would that be to do with the memory and or the CPU?
what would that do to the performance of my pc then? i dont believe that it would increase it 33%... what do you think?
what type of memory do you recommend that would work well at that speed?
thank you for your help!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not an expert on DDR333 brands, but I'm sure someone will speak up. I don't know what the limmits of your chipset are, but it should go beyond 139MHz if the CPU and memory can handle it.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got my kt3 ultra aru up to 195fsb/195ram cas2(not bad fore samsung pc2700 cas 2.5) before the memory craped out. The kt333 Is an awesome chipset for overclocking but for stock speeds go with the kt266a.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
i believe that my memory is running in cas 2, its nothing special...
what is the best type of memory to get hold of for overclocking it too 166fsb?
what cpu would you recommend? an XP or wait for a littole while and get a t-bred CPU?
im not sure whether the kg7 i have will support the 166fsb that you are mentioning...
heres a link to my system specs, what bits you recommend to change?

http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250

thanks for the help people!!

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm waiting for the t-bred. As far as ram I'm using samsung pc2700 and have heard nothing but good things about it.
The mobo Is up to you, Just find one that has the features you want at a price reange you like.
Also get a 7200rpm hard drive, the ones you have are a tad bit slow. And remember your system is only as fast as the slowest componant.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
thats all great, but i was told with the hard drives spinning at 7200, all they seem to be doing is dieing....
that doesnt sound so good to me!! how much would it be for the ram? slightly more than the pc2100 one assumes... how would it work in my mobo? i dont think that it goes above 139fsb.. its a kg7 mobo with a 1.1ghz tbird @ 1.33ghz..
i believe i wont have any money till the t-bred is out!! so thats sort of the way to go i think...
anything else i could do to speed up my pc?