eb

Is it possible to install XP on two Hard drives on the same Cpr?
I already have XP running on one Hdrive. I wish to get a second Hdrive for a
Back-Up system in case of problems, and want to know if I can install XP
also on the new drive, so that when I startup I can select which drive I
want to access?
Thanks.

Since the End-User License Agreement for Windows XP specifically
states you can install just one copy of Windows XP on one computer,
you'll need to purchase a new license (Product Key) for the second
installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"EB" <ebelletty@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:

| Is it possible to install XP on two Hard drives on the same Cpr?
| I already have XP running on one Hdrive. I wish to get a second Hdrive for a
| Back-Up system in case of problems, and want to know if I can install XP
| also on the new drive, so that when I startup I can select which drive I
| want to access?
| Thanks.

Hi, EB.

Is it possible? Yes. Quite easy, in fact. Just boot from the WinXP CD-ROM
and follow the prompts. Setup will detect the first copy of WinXP and, when
you tell it to install a second copy on the second HD, it will do that,
creating a "dual boot" menu in the process. And the second copy comes in
quite handy sometimes when you need to boot into it to repair the first
copy, or for trying out experimental software, etc.

Is it legal? There seems to be disagreement on this point. Some readers
say the EULA clearly prohibits this. Others say, since the two copies
cannot be running at the same time, there is "no harm, no foul". I guess
you'll have to get your lawyer to ask Microsoft's lawyers about this.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX