home page keeps changing

When I sign off my computer and come back to it another time, every time it defaults to another home page. I cannot find the file that is changing my home page. This is very frustrating. I think it is hidden in c:\windows file. How do I find it and get rid of it? It shows up as a home page res://mshp.dll/index.html#37049 If anyone has any clues, I would really appreciate it.
6 answers Last reply
More about home page changing

    "rachael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I sign off my computer and come back to it another time, every time
    it defaults to another home page. I cannot find the file that is changing
    my home page. This is very frustrating. I think it is hidden in c:\windows
    file. How do I find it and get rid of it? It shows up as a home page
    res://mshp.dll/index.html#37049 If anyone has any clues, I would really
    appreciate it.

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Hi

    Try any/all of the following programs to check for and delete any spyware that may be on your system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "rachael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:887090DB-45D9-44C4-A443-57250B8F3463@microsoft.com...
    | When I sign off my computer and come back to it another time, every time it defaults to another home page. I cannot find the file that is changing my home page. This is very frustrating. I think it is hidden in c:\windows file. How do I find it and get rid of it? It shows up as a home page res://mshp.dll/index.html#37049 If anyone has any clues, I would really appreciate it.

    ---

    If I download these will it correct the problem that already exists? Will it stop my home page from continuing to change?

    > If I download these will it correct the problem that already exists?
    > Will it stop my home page from continuing to change?

    First eliminate any scumware.
    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    especially
    How to remove Coolwebsearch and affiliates
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
    If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
    in the same thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    After you follow the advice given here to clean up the hijackers, go to
    www.winpatrol.com and download Winpatrol. Once installed, this program will
    sit in your tray and will notify you if something tries to change your
    homepage. You then have the option to allow it or deny it. This program
    also does other useful things like allowing or disabling startup programs
    and services.
    Anne

    "rachael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | If I download these will it correct the problem that already exists? Will
    it stop my home page from continuing to change?

    Hi

    It will depend on what is changing your Home Page. It's a good idea run these program in any case, to see how much spyware is on your system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "rachael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0387EE95-4DCF-44E3-AB8D-59F555BD3259@microsoft.com...
    | If I download these will it correct the problem that already exists? Will it stop my home page from continuing to change?

    ---

Computers Microsoft Windows XP