Sign in with
Your question
Solved

W7 Hang at Welcome Screen + Can't log in due 2 hang

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2010 1:46:13 AM

I've tried booting into safe mode and I've tried using the windows 7 disc, to repair my computer, but whenever Windows 7 boots up, it starts to slow down at the log-in screen (takes 10 seconds to recognize a click, but typing works fairly fine). The HDD activity light is always on and SOLID from the log-in screen.
I log in, and the computer simply hangs with the cursor animation going around and around at the welcome screen.
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
I also have a dual-boot copy of Ubuntu 10.04, which works perfectly fine.

Any suggestions on how to repair my copy of windows?

EDIT: I was able to log in after 30 minutes of waiting and excessively slow hard drive speed. I'm thinking it might be multiple anti-virus softwares fighting each other. (I restarted my computer and Norton 360 gave me a warning about it (?) , but I hadn't installed any antivirus software since norton 360 (3 weeks ago)) Could this be Windows Defender?

EDIT2 : My Windows Defender Service is read as stopped.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 8:15:40 PM

uninstall Norton(it's a resource hog), disable Win Defender, if you have any others disable/remove and boot, good luck
P.S. please don't use Norton or McAfee, there are a bunch of others out there much better, Vipre (new kid on the block),NOD32, Avast, Super, MalWareBytes, Kasperski
August 12, 2010 12:37:57 AM

Fixed after supremely long login (30 minute wait) and uninstall of norton 360.
Any suggestions on a good anti-virus program? I'm currently using AVG until someone can give me a better one to use :x
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 12:41:13 AM

Best answer selected by xxyourdeadxx.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2010 8:24:06 AM

Glad it worked and thanks
m
l