Nvidiamack

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
How is it that Tom's Hardware Guide can post scores on it's Interactive Graphics chart, and not have Nvidia's latest hardware present? It seems to me that they are bias on those benchmarks. Even with that I still go to Tom's to find out the latest specs, but not anymore since they have now posted reviews on Oblivion the Elder Scrolls. In the article they compare a card that was available over a year and a half ago against a card that basically just came out. If they were trying to publish the truth about current systems they would have mentioned the performance of ATI's 9800 to Nvidia's 6800. Instead they published ATI's newest chip to that of Nvidia's chip of last year. Where is the similarity in that? If u wanna know the truth Tom's Hardware is full of *&@#^! I doubt they will reply to such a true statement. A post will come if they have an explanation. Although from what I have seen I doubt anyone will see it. It is like trying to compare PS to PS2.

X-Tom's Reader

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Nvidiamack,

The reason those cards are not on the charts is simply because they weren't available to our testers at the time they were doing the update.

For the Oblivion issue, the reason we compared old and new cards is because not everyone is using a GeForce 7900GTX these days... the aim of the article is to help readers understand how Oblivion runs across different pieces of hardware that they have. There is no bias, you're simply looking at it through a tunnel vision.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
The reason those cards are not on the charts is simply because they weren't available to our testers at the time they were doing the update.
I do notice you guys uses many overclocked GPU's, which is a bit uncommon. Also, why is the 512mb 6800gs used instead of 256mb version?

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sometimes it's simply a matter of using what we have onhand. It's not like we don't send a million emails and talk into a thousand answering machines at times in order to get things, but sometimes the chips don't always line up. If we could, we'd review every card on every new driver and benchmark every month.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Im gonna agree with aaron on this, maybe some people out there have over a grand to blow on dule graphics but I sure as hell dont. I count myself lucky to even have a computer that can play oblivion.

And for the overclocking the gpu I like that because it shows me if ocing is worth while or if its just a waste of my time and possibly a video card if something goes wrong.

Toms keep up the good work, no one can do everything, and no one should expect you to do everything.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is that really your picture or is it a Bill Gates photo.

No offence inttended.

Aaron is actually one of BGs alter egos :tongue:
Alter ego? I'm his little brother. Now shut up, or I'll buy your country and have you ejected :p

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Is that really your picture or is it a Bill Gates photo.

No offence inttended.

Aaron is actually one of BGs alter egos :tongue:
Alter ego? I'm his little brother. Now shut up, or I'll buy your country and have you ejected :p

LOL.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

LOL. :D You know that could be a good thing depends on where I'm ejected to 8O. And the other citizens of Russia will be really thankful (specially my wife :D )

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
As Aaron said, one can only test with cards that one has on hand. It's not quite fair to the sites doing testing if they're forced to always make sure they have the best from the pool in question. It also wouldn't necessarily reflect what gamers might have.

A prime example would've been ATi's Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition, or nVidia's GeForce 7800GTX 512; such cards were rediculously rare, and although they represented a clear step above and beyond each respective company's lineup, though any gamer that said they had one would likely be greeted with angry glares from all of the others that weren't so lucky.

Also, I really don't see quite what the problem is; it's quite obvious that the "crown" doesn't rely on any specific performance test, particularly when people actually looking at these will almost certainly know that a certain top-level card is missing. It just merely leaves it as an open question; in this case, of how the 7900GTX might do. Of course, that's when most people will drop by another site to see what they have to say. Foolish is the gamer who relies entirely on a single site for the whole deal; no one, not THG, DriverHeaven, AnandTech, HardOCP, or whatever, can get everything down.