I totally screwed up my system! HELP!

G

Allright so I'm dumb. Failed overclocking experiment.

I have an 700 mhz classic Athalon T-bird (the big fat ones) running on an ASUS K7V. (Award bios with a whole bunch of VIA components) I upped the cpu frequency from 100 to 130 and restarted the comp. Black screen. Nothing. Sometimes when I reboot I get two tones in succession in an endless loop.
"BoooBEEEPBoooBEEEP!"
I'm running in jumper free mode. I went to the ASUS web site and downloaded the manual to ry to find the reset jumper, but if it's there, I can't find it. I did take out the battery though and put it back in.

If someone helps me, I vow never to be this stupid again! Unless someone also tells me how to properly overclock it too after I fix it... ;)

Please help me, I know I'm dumb, but...

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is no "jumper" on the k7v only two solder joints that need to be shorted to reset cmos. Taking the cmos battery out should have worked but you need to make sure it stays out for 10 minutes or so, maybe longer. In the process make sure that you unplug your power supply as well.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try going to "jumpered" mode and set your frequency switches to CPU 100 MHz. and PCI 33.3 MHz.

The JEN jumper is just below the BIOS chip and should be on pins 1 and 2 to use jumper mode.

The the four DIP switches just to the left of the IDE plugs should be 1 and 2 "on" 3 and 4 "off"

Boot it and get it running, then you can go back to jumper free mode if you want to.

Good luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!