llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
We've all done it. You buy a game, install it, play it for a few hours and then... never play it again. Which games do you own that still look new?

My top 3:

1. Battlecruiser 3000AD. The game crashed every time I tried to play the training mission. Unplayable. Uninstalled after less than an hour and never used again.

2. Zeus: Master of Olympus. I absolutely loved Caesar III so got this game. Problem is, I loved Caesar III too much. Played 2 missions of Zeus and decided I preferred CaesarIII. I'm fickle like that. Keep meaning to give Zeus another go, but Caesar 4 is coming out later this year so it'll probably not happen.

3. Battlefield 2. Bought it on recommendation. Annoyed me intensely. Takes ages to load a map, and just as you're about to join the action, you get booted. Lame. Even when you finally get into a map, most people are running around like headless chicken and vehicle-whoring etc. Big disappointment.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ohh, I do this a lot... Quake 4 most recently. Bought it, played two levels. I think the box is somewhere around or under my desk. There it is... Only reason I don't do it more often these days is because I'm so damn busy. Give me a quiet five minutes and you can bet it'll happen again.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Most recent is Doom 3 (boring as hell, all the hallways look the same)

Il2 Sturmovik (too much commitment time to learn, might try again when I have more time)

Almost every single Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell game (too structured for me, prefer melee combat)

Numerous others I'm too lazy to list, I'm sure most of us could fill an entire closet with all the boxes to games we've bought over time.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I don't like DOD because I am done with the world war II multiplayers. Its enough, I would rather escape reality with fantasy style games.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Farcry, played up to crygens myself then the game got stupidly hard and frustrating.

Quake 4 - played through once never went back to it.

HL2 - got no replay value whatsoever.

COD2 - i actually got bored half way through the game.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Who actually plays a game through multiple times? Personally I never went through a game more then once. HL2 is as good as it gets but I can't go through it more then once.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
The next good game I will try it twice. Sin Episodes is coming out May 10th and that will be a good one to do twice, especially being a shorter then normal game.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Who actually plays a game through multiple times? Personally I never went through a game more then once. HL2 is as good as it gets but I can't go through it more then once.

I play through a few. I must have run through System Shock 2 more than half a dozen times. System shock one three times as well, last time was last year. I've run through HL more than once, Star Wars Ep 1 Pod Racer, Aliens Vs Predator, Aliens Vs Predator 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Thief 1 and 2, Fallout 2.

Also, I can replay good flight sims endlessly. Falcon 4.0, IL2/Pacific Fighters, X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-wing Alliance (never got the chance to try X-Wing vs Tie Fighter), I-War 2 Edge of Chaos, Privateer, Freelancer.

There's probably quite a few I'm forgetting, as well. And there's also games that have replay value, though for other maps and multiplayer, like Warcraft II, and Starcraft.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

so you pay top price for a game to play it once? thats a waste of money.

i was severly dissapointed with Quake4, ive played through Quake2 a few times and i enjoy the fact it lets you go different ways and discover secret areas. Quake 4 had nice graphics and a a too linear story line. dunno i think i prefer a bit of freedom in my games, i cant play HL2 through again for the same reason its just walking down the same path.

Games ive found to have good replay value are;

Quake2
C&C(infact just about any command and conquer game i can play all day and not get bored.)
HL
Diablo2
UT2004(multiplayer)

and theres a few others, maby i just prefer the older style, yes graphics suck but gameplay was so much better.

dhlucke

Polypheme

Oblivion is good more than once. Max Payne was good. Neverwinter Nights. Call of Duty was good twice.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Bet On Soldier. I thought it was the most retarded pc game I ever had. I didn't even go past 3 level and I just quit and have never played it again. Maybe I'll give this to someone as a present.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Bet On Soldier. I thought it was the most retarded pc game I ever had. I didn't even go past 3 level and I just quit and have never played it again. Maybe I'll give this to someone as a present.

lol, i know im gonna get blasted for this, but i just finished the new ghost recon advanced warfighter demo, and i put this in the same category as bet on soldier....my main gripe was how stupid your little squadren are, they stood still while getting shot at most of the time, i told a guy to move to a spot, so he stood out in the open about 4 foot from the wall i told him to move to then he got fired at and he just stood there like a pansy!. wont be getting this game i could see my self chucking my pc outta the window in frustration over the AI.

CATASTROPHE

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Guild Wars- one of the most boring RPG games i ever played in my life. you can only go up to level 20 and all you really do is walk down paths and gain combat levels(20).

AOEIII- not that boring. i like it. but im not addicted to it like i am to oblivion or CS:S.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006

I disagree. You can often buy new release games on the net for under £20. This roughly equates to two cinema tickets. I usually get more enjoyment from a decent computer game than two movies. I think the only game I completed in 4 hours was Hardwar!

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

I disagree. You can often buy new release games on the net for under £20. This roughly equates to two cinema tickets. I usually get more enjoyment from a decent computer game than two movies. I think the only game I completed in 4 hours was Hardwar!

were the hell you get those prices from?

it costs £4.90 here for a cinema ticket and the only time i got a new game for under the price was in a sale and it was £25 pound, thats 5 movies. i tend to say if i dont play atleast the amount of hours it cost then its a waste.

EDIT

ive just been to see Silent Hill btw it has some great effects, and plenty of gore not for the faint hearted.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Adult cinema tickets in London are often up to £8. You can get games on play.com for under £20. For example - Galactic Civilisations was £17.99 on Play, but was £29.99 in Game.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Adult cinema tickets in London are often up to £8. You can get games on play.com for under £20. For example - Galactic Civilisations was £17.99 on Play, but was £29.99 in Game.

woah didnt realise they were that expensive down south, im in the north east and its only 4.90 for an adult, you guys get ass raped on prices.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Sorry to bring us back to the original question; I think it's a good one though.
I never finished HL2. Just couldn't do it. Never got what people saw in that game. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but no 95% rating from every website good.
Never finished the ol' Quake4 either. It was fun and all, but halfway through you get to the end boss, so you know what's coming. Just doesn't seem to pressing after that.
And to wind it up: Guild Wars. Fun for the first hours, but then you realize that you look just like everyone else who has the same class as you, that everyone is running around with max damage or the same 'unique' weapons and that everyone is trying to run to the next major city so they don't have to do the quests. Yes, you get all this and no crafting or real character building.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I think I was pretty close to finishing, but just couldn't ever bring myself to actually finish the thing. I got up to escaping the prison with all the walkers around.
Ravenholm was one of the brighter spots, but I think my favorite part was the bridge. That was good times.