Sign in with
Your question

"error loading os" Please Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2002 3:51:02 PM

Please help with a problem. I installed a new additional harddrive and was moving files from the primary drive to it. I had the case open and touched it, causing a static discharge. The computer immediately shut down. Now I cannot get it to start without having the WinXP disk in the cd rom. I get the message "error loading os" and it stops there. I did a reinstall to fix windows but that didn't work. I also used Recovery to write new a mbr (fixmbr) and wrote a new bootsector (fixboot) but still the same error and lock up. Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any assistance! Michael

More about : error loading

May 13, 2002 1:25:42 AM

how do you know it discharged? did you get shocked? which hard drive is dead? tried unplugging the bad one and installing?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
May 13, 2002 1:30:05 AM

which part of the PC did you touch?

could have fried the ram or worse, compromised the chipset integrity

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrige councilling!
Related resources
May 13, 2002 3:19:16 AM

Try each HD individually, and if it still does it then try a single ram stick, preferable one that wasn't in the system at the time. Looks like maybe its just one of the HD though.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
May 13, 2002 10:28:58 AM

BTW - this is cross posted in Windows XP and who knows which other forum. I answered it there. MicahaelMT, in the future if you're going to post the same question in multiple forums please at least indicate that in the post.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
!