XP registration

I have XP Home on my desk top PC and have just bought a
new lap top, which also has XP Home on it. How can I
check to see if it has been registered correctly, as I
want to be kept up to date with 'updates' etc? TR

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If the copy of XP on the laptop is legitimate then just Activate it.

Jerry wrote:
> If the copy of XP on the laptop is legitimate then just Activate it.

Preinstalled licences usually don't require activation.

Tony Rolfe wrote:
> I have XP Home on my desk top PC and have just bought a
> new lap top, which also has XP Home on it. How can I
> check to see if it has been registered correctly, as I
> want to be kept up to date with 'updates' etc? TR

I assume you mean 'activated' - there is a huge difference. Activation is
compulsory, registration isn't. If you don't activate, Windows will cease to
function. It doesn't matter one iota if you don't register.

To see if Windows is activated type the below into the Run box

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a replacing "%systemroot% with the
location of your Windows directory.

Greetings --

Registration is entirely voluntary, and opting not to do so will
have absolutely no affect upon your ability to obtain and install
updates. You're probably thinking of Windows Product Activation,
which is something quite different, and is usually necessary.

Pre-installed OEM operating systems are typically either
pre-activated at the factory or are BIOS-locked and do not required
activation as long as they're installed on the computer with which
they're sold.

The OS will let you know, with frequent reminders, if you do need
to activate. To check for yourself, Start > All Programs >
Accessories > System Tools > Activate Windows. Alternatively, Start >
Run > "C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A." It will probably tell
you that WinXP has already been activated.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Tony Rolfe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Home on my desk top PC and have just bought a
> new lap top, which also has XP Home on it. How can I
> check to see if it has been registered correctly, as I
> want to be kept up to date with 'updates' etc? TR

Hi, Tony.

As the others have said, activation is mandatory, but probably was done by
the vendor who installed WinXP on your computer. Registration is voluntary,
but it will not cause Microsoft to notify you of updates.

But neither of those are necessary for you to keep WinXP up to date. Just
visit the Windows Update website frequently to see which updates are
available for your Windows version. You don't even have to remember the
URL; just open Internet Explorer and click Tools | Windows Update and follow
the prompts.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA