License for XP Pro

Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected to
Internet through a shared broadband connection?
6 answers Last reply
More about license

    Hi,

    You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate computer.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected
    > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

    I went on the Microsoft site and they mention group licences from 5
    computers and up in several steps. I had assumed that 1 to 5 computers could
    be installed with XP Pro in a network without buying separate physical
    programs. Is there a license for the 1 to 5 group or am I required to
    purchase two physical boxed OEM packages as you seem to indicate. It appears
    that the price is quite high to network two home computers.

    "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate computer.
    >

    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >

    > "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected
    > > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

    Network doesn't make any difference, it's a single license is for one
    computer, whether they're networked, not networked, in the same house, or in
    the same room.

    Just like the 5-license package is for 5 computers, not 10 or 15.

    On the other hand, XP isn't required if you want to network your computers.

    > I went on the Microsoft site and they mention group licences from 5
    > computers and up in several steps. I had assumed that 1 to 5 computers
    could
    > be installed with XP Pro in a network without buying separate physical
    > programs. Is there a license for the 1 to 5 group or am I required to
    > purchase two physical boxed OEM packages as you seem to indicate. It
    appears
    > that the price is quite high to network two home computers.
    >
    > "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate computer.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Gary Tsang
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > >

    > > "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network
    connected
    > > > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

    On the back of the Windows XP box, please read the statement
    "For installation and use on one computer"
    (see License Agreement for license terms).

    To access the License Agreement on your XP computer, go to:

    Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter.

    Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

    You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
    and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

    The End-User License Agreement states quite clearly:

    "You may install, use, access, display and run one copy
    of the Software on a single computer...."

    You can install one (1) copy of Windows XP on one (1) computer.
    Additional installations requires additional licenses (Product Keys)
    for each installation on a different computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message:

    | Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected to
    | Internet through a shared broadband connection?

    Greetings --

    No, of course not.

    As it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with the EULA, if not
    technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which
    it is installed. The only way in which WinXP licensing differs from
    that of earlier versions of Windows is that Microsoft has finally
    added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation,
    to prevent (or at least make more difficult) multiple installations
    using a single license

    You can buy additional licenses, assuming you have a retail
    license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses.
    Be aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you
    would if you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount
    retailer; Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network
    > connected to
    > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

    Greetings --

    If you wish to buy a Volume License (minimum of 5 installations),
    you can, but it'll be a *lot* more expensive than simply buying 2
    retail licenses.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >I went on the Microsoft site and they mention group licences from 5
    > computers and up in several steps. I had assumed that 1 to 5
    > computers could
    > be installed with XP Pro in a network without buying separate
    > physical
    > programs. Is there a license for the 1 to 5 group or am I required
    > purchase two physical boxed OEM packages as you seem to indicate. It
    > appears
    > that the price is quite high to network two home computers.
    >
    > "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate
    >> computer.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Gary Tsang
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>

    >> "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network
    >> > connected
    >> > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

Microsoft License Windows XP Product