Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected to
Internet through a shared broadband connection?

Hi,

You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate computer.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected
> Internet through a shared broadband connection?

I went on the Microsoft site and they mention group licences from 5
computers and up in several steps. I had assumed that 1 to 5 computers could
be installed with XP Pro in a network without buying separate physical
programs. Is there a license for the 1 to 5 group or am I required to
purchase two physical boxed OEM packages as you seem to indicate. It appears
that the price is quite high to network two home computers.

"Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate computer.
>

> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected
> > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

Network doesn't make any difference, it's a single license is for one
computer, whether they're networked, not networked, in the same house, or in
the same room.

Just like the 5-license package is for 5 computers, not 10 or 15.

On the other hand, XP isn't required if you want to network your computers.

> I went on the Microsoft site and they mention group licences from 5
> computers and up in several steps. I had assumed that 1 to 5 computers
could
> be installed with XP Pro in a network without buying separate physical
> programs. Is there a license for the 1 to 5 group or am I required to
> purchase two physical boxed OEM packages as you seem to indicate. It
appears
> that the price is quite high to network two home computers.
>
> "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > You'll have to purchase two Windows XP Pro's on each seperate computer.
> >

> > --
> > Gary Tsang
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >

> > "Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network
connected
> > > Internet through a shared broadband connection?

On the back of the Windows XP box, please read the statement
"For installation and use on one computer"
(see License Agreement for license terms).

To access the License Agreement on your XP computer, go to:

Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter.

Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

The End-User License Agreement states quite clearly:

"You may install, use, access, display and run one copy
of the Software on a single computer...."

You can install one (1) copy of Windows XP on one (1) computer.
Additional installations requires additional licenses (Product Keys)
for each installation on a different computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message:

| Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network connected to
| Internet through a shared broadband connection?

Greetings --

No, of course not.

As it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with the EULA, if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which
it is installed. The only way in which WinXP licensing differs from
that of earlier versions of Windows is that Microsoft has finally
added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation,
to prevent (or at least make more difficult) multiple installations
using a single license

You can buy additional licenses, assuming you have a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses.
Be aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you
would if you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount
retailer; Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Frank McVeigh" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Is it legal to install XP Pro on two computers in home network
> connected to
> Internet through a shared broadband connection?

Greetings --

If you wish to buy a Volume License (minimum of 5 installations),
you can, but it'll be a *lot* more expensive than simply buying 2
retail licenses.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: